Wilderness Medicine: Expert Consult Premium Edition - Enhanced Online Features and Print, Sixth Editionby Paul S. Auerbach
Quickly and decisively manage any medical emergency you encounter in the great outdoors with Wilderness Medicine! World-renowned authority and author Dr. Paul Auerbach and a team of experts offer proven, practical, visual guidance for effectively diagnosing and treating the full range of emergencies and health problems encountered in situations/b>/b>/b>… See more details below
Quickly and decisively manage any medical emergency you encounter in the great outdoors with Wilderness Medicine! World-renowned authority and author Dr. Paul Auerbach and a team of experts offer proven, practical, visual guidance for effectively diagnosing and treating the full range of emergencies and health problems encountered in situations where time and resources are scarce. Every day, more and more people are venturing into the wilderness and extreme environments, or are victims of horrific natural disasters...and many are unprepared for the dangers and aftermath that come with these episodes. Whether these victims are stranded on mountaintops, lost in the desert, injured on a remote bike path, or ill far out at sea, this indispensable resourcenow with online access at www.expertconsult.com for greater accessibility and portabilityequips rescuers and health care professionals to effectively address and prevent injury and illness in the wilderness! This textbook is widely referred to as "The Bible of Wilderness Medicine."
• Be able to practice emergency medicine outside of the traditional hospital/clinical setting whether you are in remote environments, underdeveloped but highly populated areas, or disaster areas, are part of search and rescue operations, or dealing with casualties from episodes of extreme sports and active lifestyle activities.
• Face any medical challenge in the wilderness with expert guidance: Dr. Auerbach is a noted author and the world's leading authority on wilderness medicine. He is a founder and Past President of the Wilderness Medical Society, consultant to the Divers Alert Network and many other agencies and organizations, and a member of the National Medical Committee for the National Ski Patrol System.
• Handle everything from frostbite to infection by marine microbes, not to mention other diverse injuries, bites, stings, poisonous plant exposures, animal attacks, and natural disasters.
• Grasp the essential aspects of search and rescue.
• Respond quickly and effectively by improvising with available materials.
• Improve your competency and readiness with the latest guidance on volcanic eruptions, extreme sports, splints and slings, wilderness cardiology, living off the land, aerospace medicine, mental health in the wilderness, tactical combat casualty care, and much more.
• Meet the needs and special considerations of specific patient populations such as children, women, elders, persons with chronic medical conditions, and the disabled.
• Make smart decisions about gear, navigation, nutrition, and survival.
• Be prepared for everything with expanded coverage on topics such as high altitude, cold water immersion, and poisonous and venomous plants and animals.
• Get the skills you need now with new information on global humanitarian relief and expedition medicine, plus expanded coverage of injury prevention and environmental preservation.
• Get guidance on the go with fully searchable text plus bonus images, tables and video clips online at www.expertconsult.com.
Ensure patient survival in the wilderness with Dr. Paul Auerbach’s indispensible reference.
"When on vacation, who knows when you might need to treat a Gila-monster bite or use dental floss to close scalp lacerations? 'Wilderness Medicine,' edited by Paul S. Auerbach, professor of surgery at Stanford University School of Medicine's emergency division, has the answers." - Laura Landro, Wall Street Journal
Description: This is a thorough review of vital topics in wilderness medicine that provides concise clinical information on topics ranging from ocean exploration to mountaineering, as well as a how to deal with animals, plants, and various other environmental hazards along the way. It replaces the previous edition published in 2007.
Purpose: The purpose is to expand the clinician's knowledge of medicine in general and, more importantly, its unique applications in new and austere environments. Information from this book will serve those who find themselves practicing at the front lines of natural disasters, as part of relief efforts in conflict-stricken areas, or in a remote corner of the world, where many of the comforts of our home emergency rooms or hospitals are unavailable. This book meets these objectives by providing detailed information on both common and not-so-common encounters one might face in the wilderness.
Audience: This book is intended for both seasoned professionals and students in healthcare interested in expanding their skill sets in international or austere environments. The author brings much experience to the creation of this book.
Features: Its 13 different parts cover the spectrum of wilderness medicine from normal human physiology and adaptations in different environments to management of various injuries and information on successfully preparing for one's own wilderness excursion or disaster response. A notable strength of the book is the section on managing injuries in the field providing innovative ideas when resources are limited. The appendix at the end of the book provides a list of common medicines and their stability in the wilderness. The only limitation that I found was its size at 2,304 pages and nearly 11 pounds, it is not easily portable.
Assessment: There is a reason a book makes it to a sixth edition. This is the definitive book on wilderness medicine. It is an excellent, thorough book on critical and exciting concepts in this still expanding realm. The topics are concise yet cover a broad spectrum of environments and clinical situations not commonly seen. A number of the subjects are not exclusive to wilderness situations and are applicable to everyday life in the emergency room and hospital. Although the book is large and heavy, possibly limiting its use in the field, the online version (access is provided with the purchase of the book) may be a viable option for those with portable devices.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Sixth Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.70(w) x 11.10(h) x 2.30(d)
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >