Summer is over, fall is here and winter is on its way. You want to continue cycling through the cold, dark months ahead, but you have some questions:
• Do you need a special bicycle built for winter road conditions?
• How are you going to stay warm while on your bike?
• Will you need to purchase studded snow tires?
• What kind of clothes should you be wearing?
• Which fabrics are best for winter weather conditions?
• How can you be sure that motorists will see you?
• Which type of pedal system and shoes are best for winter cycling?
• How do you know you're not going to lose a finger or toe when the weather gets too cold?
• What is the safest way to ride in the rain and snow?
• How do you prevent yourself from crashing?
• Is it possible to conduct a long-distance bicycle tour during the winter months?
• How do you protect your bicycle from corrosive salt, gravel and sand?
• How can you carry a snowboard or set of skis on your bike?
• Is there any way to continue cycling during the winter months if you don't want to cycle in the cold, rain, ice, or snow?
• What happens if you get caught in a giant winter storm?
Whatever questions you might have about riding your bicycle in the wintertime, the information in this book will not only help you stay warm, arrive home safely and weather even the worst possible conditions, but will keep you smiling all winter long.
WINTER CYCLING - TABLE OF CONTENTS
• Introduction to Winter Cycling
• The Dangers of Winter Cycling
• The Various Types of Winter Cycling
• The Various Types of Bicycle Riders
Chapter 1: Stay Warm
• The Dangers of Being Cold
• Assessing The Situation: Is It Safe to Ride?
• Winter Clothing
• Layering Your Clothes
• Fabrics Used in Winter Clothing
• Clothing Examples Based On Winter Cycling Type
• Getting Dressed
• Experiment with Your Clothing
Chapter 2: Equip Your Bicycle
• Which Type of Bicycle Is Best?
• Bicycle Tires
• Fenders & Mud Guards
• How to Carry Your Gear
• Additional Equipment You Should Carry
• Lighting & Visibility
Chapter 3: On The Road
• How to Ride a Bicycle In the Winter
• How to Keep Your Water Bottles From Freezing
• In Case of Emergency
Chapter 4: Miscellaneous
• How to Carry Skis, Poles and Boots On Your Bicycle
• Carrying a Snowboard and Boots On Your Bicycle
• Winter Bicycle Touring
• Bicycle Trainers
• Cleaning Your Bicycle
Darren Alff is one of the world's most experienced bicycle traveler. He's the creator the popular www.bicycletouringpro.com website, the manager of www.gobicycletouring.com and the author of several bicycle touring and cycling-specific books and ebooks.