- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
This book outlines a new strategy that applies the organizing principles of progressive internationalism—national strength, free enterprise, liberal democracy, U.S. leadership for collective security—to the new challenge of defeating Islamist extremism. That plan, as set forth in detail in this book, revolves around five progressive imperatives for national security:
• First, we must marshal all of America's manifold strengths, starting with our military power but going well beyond it, for the struggle ahead.
• Second, we must rebuild America's alliances, because democratic solidarity is one of our greatest strategic assets.
• Third, we must champion liberal democracy in deed, not just in rhetoric, because a freer world is a safer world.
• Fourth, we must renew U.S. leadership in the international economy and rise to the challenge of global competition.
• Fifth, we must summon from the American people a new spirit of national unity and service. In sum, the progressive strategy detailed in this book takes advantage of all of our country's strengths, not just the big stick of military power. It seeks to unite, not polarize and divide, our people. It links the defense of liberty abroad with a new determination to press progressive reforms at home. It calls on all Americans-not just our men and women in uniform-to share the burden of prevailing in what is likely to be a long, arduous and costly struggle. Published in cooperation with the Progressive Policy Institute
|Introduction : a progressive answer to jihadist terror||1|
|Pt. I||Winning the war of ideas|
|1||The struggle for Islam's soul||19|
|2||A grand strategy for the Middle East||33|
|3||Seeding liberal democracy||49|
|4||Reviving Muslim economies||69|
|Pt. II||Confronting global terrorism|
|5||A smarter war on terror||87|
|6||Preventing nuclear terrorism||101|
|7||Pakistan's choice : partner or problem?||115|
|Pt. III||Transforming our military|
|8||Fighting unconventional wars||129|
|9||Reconciling democrats and the military||143|
|Pt. IV||Strengthening collective security|
|10||Why America needs a strong Europe||163|
|11||Reinventing the United Nations||175|
|Pt. V||Building our economic strength|
|12||The economic foundation of national security||193|
|13||Toward a post-oil economy||207|
|Pt. VI||Renewing our fighting faith|
|14||The 9/11 generation||223|
|The Progressive Policy Institute|