Chapter 1 Introduction: A Progressive Answer to Jihadist Terror Part 2 Part I. Winning the War of Ideas Chapter 3 1 The Struggle for Islam's Soul Chapter 4 2 A Grand Strategy for the MIddle East Chapter 5 3 Seeding Liberal Democracy Chapter 6 4 Reviving Muslim Economies Part 7 Part II. Confronting Global Terrorism Chapter 8 5 A Smarter War on Terror Chapter 9 6 Preventing Nuclear Terrorism Chapter 10 7 Pakistan's Choice: Partner or Problem? Part 11 Part III. Transforming Our Military Chapter 12 8 Fighting Unconventional Wars Chapter 13 9 Reconciling Democrats and the Military Part 14 Part IV. Strengthening Collective Security Chapter 15 10 Why America Needs a Strong Europe Chapter 16 11 Reinventing the United Nations Part 17 Part V. Building Our Economic Strength Chapter 18 12 The Economic Foundation of National Security Chapter 19 13 Toward a Post-Oil Economy Part 20 Part VI. Renewing Our Fighting Faith Chapter 21 14. The 9/11 Generation
With All Our Might: A Progressive Strategy for Defeating Jihadism and Defending Libertyby Will Marshall, Graham Allison, Reza Aslan, Ronald D. Asmus, Daniel Benjamin
Pub. Date: 04/27/2006
Publisher: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
This book outlines a new strategy that applies the organizing principles of progressive internationalismnational strength, free enterprise, liberal democracy, U.S. leadership for collective securityto the new challenge of defeating Islamist extremism. That plan, as set forth in detail in this book, revolves around five progressive imperatives for
This book outlines a new strategy that applies the organizing principles of progressive internationalismnational strength, free enterprise, liberal democracy, U.S. leadership for collective securityto the new challenge of defeating Islamist extremism. That plan, as set forth in detail in this book, revolves around five progressive imperatives for national security:
• First, we must marshal all of America's manifold strengths, starting with our military power but going well beyond it, for the struggle ahead.
• Second, we must rebuild America's alliances, because democratic solidarity is one of our greatest strategic assets.
• Third, we must champion liberal democracy in deed, not just in rhetoric, because a freer world is a safer world.
• Fourth, we must renew U.S. leadership in the international economy and rise to the challenge of global competition.
• Fifth, we must summon from the American people a new spirit of national unity and service. In sum, the progressive strategy detailed in this book takes advantage of all of our country's strengths, not just the big stick of military power. It seeks to unite, not polarize and divide, our people. It links the defense of liberty abroad with a new determination to press progressive reforms at home. It calls on all Americans-not just our men and women in uniform-to share the burden of prevailing in what is likely to be a long, arduous and costly struggle. Published in cooperation with the Progressive Policy Institute
- Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.04(w) x 9.28(h) x 0.95(d)
Table of Contents
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews