- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Preface, acknowledgements, abbreviations, glossary, list of illustrations
1. Contexts:- Medical theories; Religious teachings; The law and its administration; Citizenship; Popular notions; Stereotypes; Misogyny and patriarchy.
2. Life Stages:- Childhood and Adolescence: Early 7years; Service; Courtship.
3. Adult Life:- Marriage; Maternity; Single women; Widowhood; Old age; Death.
4. Female Culture:- Space; Speech; Material culture; The practice of piety; Female friendship; Passionate friends and lesbian relationships; Female consciousness and feminism.
5. The Makeshift Economy of Poor Women:- Work and gender; Poverty; Making a living; The indigent and destitute.
6. Occupational Identities and Social Roles:- Running a household; Professional and skilled work: medical, educational, and cultural; Crafts, trades, and multiple occupations; Royal, civic, and institutional employment; Public housewifery.
7. Politics:- Female monarchs; Aristocratic women: Queens consort and courtiers; Popular politics before 1640; Women and revolution, 1640-1660; Women in political movements, 1660-1720.
Posted July 22, 2009
No text was provided for this review.