Women, Politics, and Power: A Global Perspective / Edition 1by Pamela Paxton
Pub. Date: 03/06/2007
Publisher: Sage Publications (CA)
Women, Politics, and Power provides a clear and detailed introduction to women’s political representation across a wide range of countries and regions. Using broad statistical overviews and detailed case-study accounts, authors Pamela Paxton and Melanie Hughes document both historical trends and the contemporary state of women’s political strength
Women, Politics, and Power provides a clear and detailed introduction to women’s political representation across a wide range of countries and regions. Using broad statistical overviews and detailed case-study accounts, authors Pamela Paxton and Melanie Hughes document both historical trends and the contemporary state of women’s political strength across diverse countries. There is simply no other book that offers such a thorough and multidisciplinary synthesis of research on women’s political power from around the world.
Table of Contents
List of Figures, Tables, and Maps About the Authors Preface
1. Introduction to Women in Politics Arguments for Women's Representation in Politics A Brief Overview of Women's Participation in Politics Orienting Theories
2. Women's Struggle for the Vote: The History of Women's Suffrage Suffrage in the United States Suffrage Movements Outside the United States The International Women's Movement Women's Suffrage After 1945
3. Women Struggle for Representation: Accessing Positions of Power First Female Members of Parliament Women Access Parliaments: Patterns of Representation Women in Top Leadership Positions Women in Cabinet Positions
4. Explaining the Political Representation of Women - Culture and Social Structure Beliefs Have Consequences: Culture But Who Will Run? Social Structure
5. Explaining the Political Representation of Women - Politics Democracy Electoral Systems Characteristics of Political Parties From Candidate to Legislator Quotas
6. Explaining the Political Representation of Women: Overarching Factors Armed Conflict: Devastation Yet Hope?
7. Do Women Make a Difference?
Thinking Differently: Women's Views on Women and Their Policy Priorities Acting Differently: Women's Voting Patterns and Bill Sponsorship Acting Successfully: Women's Legislative Effectiveness Legislating Differently: Women's Legislative Style Do Numbers Matter? Critical Mass and Women's Impact Women's Movements and Women's Policy Machinery as Alternate Sources of Influence In Summary: What Do We Know?
8. All Regions Are Not Created Equal The Geography of Women in Politics Western Industrialized Countries Eastern Europe and Central Asia Latin America and the Caribbean Sub-Saharan Africa Asia and the Pacific Islands Middle East and North Africa
9. Middle of the Pack: Women and Politics in the United States Women in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives: Growing Slowly Women in the States Women and the American Presidency Explanations Donkeys and Elephants: The Influence of Political Parties The Rise and Fall of the Equal Rights Amendment Gender Gaps in American Politics International Comparisons
10. Where Do We Go From Here? And How Do We Get There?
Where Are We Now?
Where Are We Going?
How Do We Get There?
In Conclusion: What Would a 50/50 World Look Like?
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >