- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Moving beyond simply describing the differences between custodial and noncustodial grandparents, this volume places helping efforts with grandparents in theoretical, empirical, and pragmatic contexts. Stressing the importance of theoretically grounded interventions and empirically-based studies for the design, implementation, and funding of programs, the chapters define an "action-oriented" approach toward changing the lives of grandparents and their grandchildren. Topics include: In what ways do support groups help; Caring for children with developmental disabilities; Predictors of psychological distress; Building parenting skills; and Strategies for solving everyday problems, among others.
Foreword, D. Burnette
Part I: Theoretical Perspectives on Custodial Grandparents
• Custodial Grandparenting Viewed from within a Lifespan Perspective, B. Hayslip, Jr. and J.H. Patrick
• Intervention Strategies for Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: Lessons Learned from the Caregiving Literature, K.A. Roberto and S.H. Qualls
• Links Between Custodial Grandparents and the Psychological Adaptation of Grandchildren, S. Keller and G. Stricker
• An Integrative Assessment Model as a Means of Intervention with the Grandparent Caregiver, F. Conway and G. Stricker
• Through My Eyes: Service Needs of Grandparents who Raise their Grandchildren Caregiver, A.H. Baird
Part II: Empirical Studies of Helping Efforts with Grandparent Caregivers
• How Caregiving Grandparents View Support Groups: An Exploratory Study, G.C. Smith
• Grandparent Caregivers to Children with Developmental Disabilities, J.M. Kinney, K.B. McGrew, and I.M. Nelson
• Why Support Groups Help: Successful Interventions for Grandparent Caregivers, S.R. Kolomer, P. McCallion, and J. Overeynder
• Predictors of Psychological Distress in Grandparents Raising Grandchildren and Development of an Empirically-Based Intervention Model, S.J. Kelley and D.M. Whitley
• A Stress and Coping Model of Custodial Grandparenting among African Americans, M. Crowhter and R. Rodriguez
• The Impact of A Psychosocial Intervention on Parental Efficacy, Grandchild Relationship Quality, and Well-Being Among Grandparents Raising Grandchildren, B. Hayslip Jr.
Part III: The Pragmatics of Working with Grandparents Raising Their Grandchildren
• Grandparents Who are Parenting Again: Building Parenting Skills, C.W. Kern
• Group Processes among Grandparents Raising Grandchildren, E.C. Wohl, J. Lahner, and J. Jooste
• Grandparents Raising Grandchildren: Guidelines for Family Life Educators and other Family Professionals, M.L. Dolbin and D.B. Targ
• Behavioral Content of Grandmother-Grandchild Dyadic Interactions, J.H. Patrick and J. Pickard
• Lessons Learned from Custodial Grandparents involved in a Community Support Group, K. Kopera-Frye, R.C. Wiscott, and A. Begovic
• Strategies for Solving Everyday Problems Faced by Grandparents: The Role of Experience, J. Strough, J.H. Patrick, and L.M. Swenson
Epilogue: The Next Stage in Helping Custodial Grandparents, J.H.Patrick and B. Hayslip Jr.