PrefaceIntroduction: Idealists Preferred
PART I: SHAPING YOUR CAREER PHILOSOPHY
1. Identifying Your Cause Sherry: Your Place in HistoryMark: What Am I Going to Do with My Life?
2. The Art of Networking Sherry: Encountering Potential Employers and ReferencesMark: Do I Really Need Business Cards?
3. The Value of MentorsSherry: Identifying Your MentorMark: The Seinfeldian View of Mentors
4. The Continuous JourneySherry: An Evolving ApproachMark: The Never-ending Job Story
PART II: SELECTED RESOURCES AND PROFILES
5. Your Job Search: A General Approach Selected ResourcesPROFILE: Alanna Shaikh, Director of Communications, Outreach, and Public Relations, for AZ SHIP, Abt Associates PROFILE: Allan Goodman, President, Institute of International Education
6. Professional AssociationsSample Professional AssociationsSelected ResourcesPROFILE: Fanta Aw, Assistant Vice President of Campus Life and Director of International Student and Scholar Services, American University PROFILE: Belinda Chiu, Princiapl, Hummingbird Research Coaching Consulting
7. Internship OpportunitiesExploitation? No, a Chance to Learn and GrowA Good Internship Depends on You Not Just for StudentsFinding an InternshipSelected ResourcesPROFILE: Jennifer Clinton, President, National Council for International Visitors
8. Volunteer OpportunitiesSample Volunteer OrganizationsSelected ResourcesPROFILE: Tom Garofalo, Legislative Assistant, Office of Congressmen James P. Moran (D-VA, 8th)PROFILE: Deirdre White, President and CEO, PYXERA Global
9. Nongovernmental Organizations and Educational Institutions What is an NGO? Sample Nongovernment Organizations and Educational InstitutionsSelected ResourcesPROFILE: Adam Weinberg, President, Denison University PROFILE: Peggy Parfenoff, Executive Director, WorldChicago 10. US GovernmentThe Executive BranchThe Legislative BranchSample Government Departments and Agencies Selected ResourcesPROFILE: Ambassador Kenton Keith, Embassy Inspector, US Department of StatePROFILE: Sarah Loss Mathur, Political Officer, and Amit Mathur, Vice Consul, US Embassy, Seoul, South Korea
11. Multinational OrganizationsThe Cultural Context of Multinational Organizatoins A Crowded Bazaar, Not a One-Stop ShopSample Multinational OrganizationsSelected ResourcesPROFILE: Fayezul Choudhury, CEO, International Federation of Accountants (IFAC)
12. International Business, Consulting, and ResearchSample Business OrganizationsSelected Business Resources Sample Consulting OrganizationsSelected Consulting ResourcesSample Think Tanks and FoundationsSelected Think Tank and Foundation Resources PROFILE: Lobna "Luby" Ismail, Founder, President, and Senior Trainer, Connecting Cultures, LLCPROFILE: Karl Dedolph, Senior Manager, Accenture