2. The Chemistry of the Cell.
3 The Macromolecules of the Cell.
4. Cells and Organelles.
5 Bioenergetics: The Flow of Energy in the Cell.
6 Enzymes: The Catalysts of Life.
II. MEMBRANES AND CELL SIGNALING.7. Membranes: Their Structure, Function, and Chemistry.
8. Transport Across Membranes: Overcoming the Permeability Barrier.
9. Signal Transduction Mechanisms: I. Electrical Signals in Nerve Cells.
10. Signal Transduction Mechanisms: II. Messengers and Receptors.
11. Beyond the Cell: Extracellular Structures, Cell Adhesion, and Cell Junctions.
12. Intracellular Compartments: The Endoplasmic Reticulum, Golgi Complex, Endosomes, Lysosomes, and Peroxisomes.
III. Energy Flow in Cells.13. Chemotrophic Energy Metabolism: Glycolysis and Fermentation.
14. Chemotrophic Energy Metabolism: Aerobic Respiration.
15. Phototropic Energy Metabolism: Photosynthesis.
IV. Information Flow in Cells.16. The Structural Basis of Cellular Information: DNA, Chromosomes, and the Nucleus.
17. The Cell Cycle: DNA Replication, Mitosis, and Cancer.
18. Sexual Reproduction, Meiosis, and Genetic Recombination.
19. Gene Expression: I. The Genetic Code and Transcription.
20. Gene Expression: II. Protein Synthesis andSorting.
21. The Regulation of Gene Expression.
V. The Cytoskeleton and Cell Motility.22. Cytoskeletal Systems.
23 Cellular Movement: Motility and Contractility.
Appendix: Principles and Techniques of Microscopy.