Featuring over 200 recipes from more than 55 countries, Yogurt, Yoghurt, Youghourt is the cookbook for today's taste- and nutrition-conscious consumer. Linda Fuller provides easy-to-follow directions for a terrific selection of yogurt-containing international recipes for a delicious new approach to cooking. Just imagine Mulligatawny Soup, Molded Pineapple Salad, Cranberried Coffeecake, Irish Soda Bread, Greek Pastitsio, Scalloped Oysters, and German Chocolate Cakeall made with yogurt.
For the yogurt-lover and the yet-to-be-converted, Yogurt, Yoghurt, Youghourt is a great source of recipes that are delicious, nutritious, and low in calories. Yogurt dates back to Biblical times, and there are references to yogurt in the works of Herodotus, Homer, Pliny, Galen, and other ancient historians and physicians. For thousands of years, yogurt has survived and become a staple in many diets. And now, here is a book full of new recipes that use this ancient food in a contemporary style.
Yogurt, as an outstanding supplement to a well-balanced diet, can be included in every course in a meal. For example:
- start off right with hors d'oeuvres or appetizers such as Guatemalan Guacamole, Crabby Hawaiian Dip, Jamaican Curried Eggs, Japanese Gingered Shrimp, or German Party Meatballs
- continue with soups and salads such as Chilean Chicken-Corn Salad, Norwegian Salmon Salad, French Blueberry Bisque, Turkish Beef Soup, Creole Callaloo, and a variety of dressings
- for the main course, whether lunch, dinner, or supper, try one of these dishes: Balinese Braised Chicken, Bohemian Veal Roast, Italian Heroes, Polish Pike, Mexican Meal-in-a-Minute, and Yankee Red Flannel Hash
- round out meals with breads and cakes like Scottish Scones, Impeccable Pecan Muffins, Far Eastern Flat Bread, Albanian Nut Cake, Colombian Cocoa Cake, and Hussar Torte
- for that finishing touch, choices include Armenian Lemon Bars, Barbados Banana Pudding, Singapore Tapioca, Guy Fawkes Fingers, Greek Apple Crisp, Cuban Cheesecake, and Southern Pecan Pie
- and don't forget beveragestry Austrian Apricot Frost, Hearty Health Drink, Persian Abdug, Sweet Indian Lasse, or Turkish Yogurt Fizz for thirst quenchers
Each section of recipes is alphabetized, making it easy to find the recipe you want quickly. All ingredients are precisely specified, but the innovative reader/cook is encouraged to experiment with flavors and textures. Whether you are familiar with the joys of yogurt or are just beginning to learn, these recipes are sure to get your mouth watering for Yogurt, Yoghurt, Youghourt.