- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
You Are Thinking of Teaching? is a lovely essay on the consideration of teachin. It asks those who are thinking of teaching to ask questions, to ponder their decision, and to pursue the information they need to make a reasoned choice. There is nothing like it in the professional literature, which makes it all the more valuable.
• Pat Walsey, senior researcher for change, Coalition of Essential Schools
Teaching is a demanding, complex profession and many who choose to teach make their career choice without thinking about how well their own motives and expectations fit into the realities of life in a classroom. The most prospective teachers know about the teaching profession--both what it is now and what it should and can be--the better equipped they will be to take an active role in changing the system. Matching their style, needs, and goals to the obligations, responsibilities, and problems inherent in the job will give prospective teachers a better sense of what they are getting into--and allow them to take responsibility for their professional choices and personal and intellectual growth.
1. Justifying this Book.
2. Who Is "You"
3. When Should You Decide?
4. Why Teaching?.
5. Satisfaction from Student and Parents.
6. Satisfaction from Colleagues.
7. You Know More than You Think and More than They Give You Creditfor.
8. The Teacher of Whom?
9. Change, Resistance, and Reflection.
10. Understanding Children and the Self-Fulfilling Prophecy.
11. The Nonreading Professional.