Scott Spencer has worked as a character designer and sculptor at The Weta Workshop in Wellington, New Zealand, since 2009, most recently on The Hobbit. He has taught ZBrush digital sculpting at Gnomon since 2005 and was previously an artist at Gentle Giant Studios. His credits include films such as Alice in Wonderland, the game Golden Axe for Sega, and dozens of other projects. He is the author of ZBrush Character Creation and ZBrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy.
ZBrush Creature Design: Creating Dynamic Concept Imagery for Film and Gamesby Scott Spencer
Design Your Concepts in Live 3D
Still sketching ideas on paper? Start brainstorming with ZBrush, and you can design and sculpt your best ideas in dazzling 3D. In this unique, projects-based book, veteran 3D artist and author Scott Spencer shows you how to conceptualize for games, films, and toys using ZBrush to sculpt and paint in 3D and Adobe Photoshop/b>… See more details below
- LendMe LendMe™ Learn More
Design Your Concepts in Live 3D
Still sketching ideas on paper? Start brainstorming with ZBrush, and you can design and sculpt your best ideas in dazzling 3D. In this unique, projects-based book, veteran 3D artist and author Scott Spencer shows you how to conceptualize for games, films, and toys using ZBrush to sculpt and paint in 3D and Adobe Photoshop® to finish. You'll create four distinct creatures while polishing your 3D painting, sculpting, rendering, and 3D printing skills, as well as reviewing the basics of design, form, color, and composition.
Learn professional techniques that enable you to create not only your own provocative 3D concepts, but also concepts for studio-scripted creatures that can be handed off, complete with 3D design assets, to studio production teams for further development. This is how many studios and concept artists operate today.
- Review the basics of form, gesture, balance, proportion, and color
- Recognize key terms—character vs. creature, thumbnails vs. maquettes, and others
- Work from a brief—a director's written description of a character—and create a unique design in 3D
- Hone your design skills by creating an alien, a bio-mechanical hybrid, a mystic, and a forest spirit
- Learn how to select and add skin tones, fur patterns, and environmental effects
- Master the latest techniques for sculpting a character for 3D printing to create a finished physical model of your character design
- Leverage the power of ZBrush and Photoshop for designing in today's fast, budget-driven development pipelines
Use high-quality references to create fantasy characters grounded in reality
Combine the power of ZBrush and Photoshop to create dynamic character concept imagery
Learn expert techniques for creating detailed creature designs
The accompanying DVD includes all the files you need to complete the projects in the book, along with helpful videos to drive home concepts.
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 76 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
Meet the Author
- Rhinebeck, New York
- Date of Birth:
- September 1, 1945
- Place of Birth:
- Washington, D.C.
- B. A., University of Wisconsin, 1969
More from this Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >