Mattie Stepanek took time to answer our questions about favorite books and pastimes.
What was the book that most influenced your life -- and why?
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Little children understand the horrors of violating human rights and the desperate need for peace and harmony while too many adults don't see such truths that are right in front of them.
What are your ten favorite books?
Who are your favorite writers?
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- Talking Peace by Jimmy Carter
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- The Bible
- The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
- The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
- The book my mom wrote to help me understand my brother's death
What else do you want your readers to know?
- Maya Angelou
- Robert Frost
- Shel Silverstein
- Lois Lowry
- Harper Lee (just the one book)
- Emily Dickinson
- Jimmy Carter
- J.R.R. Tolkien
- J. K. Rowling
I love to read and write. I love playing with Legos and video games. I love playing practical jokes and helping people laugh. I love little babies. I have a service puppy named Micah. My mom is the most important person in my life along with God, and followed by Oprah Winfrey and Jimmy Carter. Remember to play after every storm!
Back to Top
In the Works
Stepanek says he is working on more books of poetry, an book of essays, and a couple of short stories.
Back to Top