In the fall of 2002, Ha Jin took time to answer some of our questions.
What was the book that most influenced your life?
A Bend in the River [by V. S. Naipaul], mainly because of its views on the past and on the relationship between the individual and the community.
What are your ten favorite books?
- Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy
- War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
- The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
- Silence by Shusaku Endo,
- My Antonia by Willa Cather
- Heat and Dust by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala
- A House for Mr. Biswas by V. S. Naipaul
- Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov
- Dreams of my Russian Summers by Andrei Makine
- Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol
Any film with Jack Nicholson in it.
If you had a book club, what would it be reading?
Dreams of My Russian Summers. Because it's a beautiful book.
Who is your favorite writer?
What else about your life can you tell us?
My life is a routine state of affairs. I work hard every day, teaching, writing, and doing yard work.
Back to Top
|Ha Jin Home
|In Our Other Stores|
Signed, First Editions by Ha Jin|
|Between Silences: A Voice from China (poems), 1990|
|Ocean of Words: Army Stories, 1996|
|Facing Shadows (poems), 1996|
|Under the Red Flag: Stories, 1997|
|In the Pond, 1998|
|The Bridegroom (stories), 2000|
|Wreckage (poems), 2001|
|The Crazed, 2002|
|War Trash, 2004|
|A Free Life, 2007|