Are you looking for classroom-tested content strategies to help your English Language Learners achieve academic success? This easy-to-use resource offers 102 practical instructional and assessment strategies built on a strong foundation of second language acquisition theories and principles. Easy to incorporate into daily classroom instruction, all 102 strategies are concise and offer helpful guides that maximize students’ performance potential at every level of development. Strategies address a variety of issues, including cultural considerations, instructional processes, traditional testing, alternative testing formats, grading, and accountability.
- Theory to Application: Guidelines for Practice are found at the beginning of each chapter to unify the theories and principles around which this text is designed.
- The Objective briefly states the goals of the strategies that follow.
- The Rationale explains the reasoning underlying each objective and the role it plays in your practice.
- Strategies offer activities and assignments to help you in guiding your English Language Learners toward academic success.
- In Concept introduces and explains the ideas behind each strategy and why it is important to your practice.
- In Practice provides instructions, examples, and illustrations to illustrate how each strategy can be used in your classroom.
|Series:||Teaching Strategies Series Series|
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||8.24(w) x 10.88(h) x 0.47(d)|
Table of Contents
PART I: PERSPECTIVES FOR CLASSROOM PRACTICE: THEORY AND CULTURE
Chapter 1 Theoretical Considerations
Chapter 2 Culture and Content Learning
PART II: STRATEGIES FOR CLASSROOM PRACTICE: INSTRUCTION
Chapter 3 Meeting State Objectives and Standards: Making Good Choices
Chapter 4 Learning Strategies for English Language Learners
Chapter 5 A Solid Start: Building and Activating Background Knowledge
Chapter 6 Presenting New Material: Teaching the Lesson
Chapter 7 Did My Students Get What I Taught? Checking Comprehension
Chapter 8 Extending Comprehension: Textbook Vocabulary Strategies
Chapter 9 Extending Comprehension: Textbook Reading Strategies
Chapter 10 Reinforcing Learning: Activities and Assignments
Part III: Strategies for Classroom Practice: Assessment
Chapter 11 Classroom Assessments: Did They Learn What You Taught?
Chapter 12 The Big One: Preparing for High-Stakes Tests
Appendix I Glossary
Appendix II Additional Resources for Teachers