National Outdoor Book Awards, 2019 Honorable Mention
An illustrated guide to California's most popular and iconic nature getaways.
150 Nature Hot Spots in California showcases the legendary diversity and beauty of California's landscape and wildlife famous deserts, iconic badlands, lush forests and beautiful beaches. The book is organized by region. Each entry includes at-a-glance information on activities, addresses and contact information; a feature on the location's characteristics, history and best hiking paths; and photography illustrating the geography and prominent wildlife and flora of the region.
The destinations and sites include:
- Waterfalls and giant sequoias of Yosemite National Park
- The cinder cone of Amboy Crater
- Below-sea-level salt flats of Death Valley National Park
- Elephant seals at A-o Nuevo State Park
- The palm oasis at Coachella Valley Preserve
- Tide pools at Cabrillo National Monument
- The wind-sculpted badlands of Alabama Hills
- Hydrothermal features of Lassen Volcanic National Park
- Tule elk and whales at Point Reyes National Seashore.
California is one of America's most popular travel destinations. According to Visit California, the state is the No. 1 tourism destination in the U.S. Of the 268 million tourists that visited in 2016, roughly 75 percent were Californians, 18 percent were from other states and 7 percent were from outside the country.
This guidebook will appeal to all travelers: families, hikers, campers, photographers and other nature enthusiasts; those who'd want to spend a week in the wilderness; and those who simply want to take a day trip. The book is a must-have for libraries, tourism offices, travel agents and bookstores.
Related collections and offers
|Publisher:||Firefly Books, Limited|
|Product dimensions:||7.40(w) x 9.40(h) x 0.70(d)|
About the Author
Table of Contents
Northern California 11
San Francisco Bay Area and Central Coast 61
Western Sierra Nevada 103
Eastern Sierra Nevada and Death Valley 147
Southern feast and Mountains 179
Southern Deserts 203
Photo Credits 256