19 Steps to Loving Your Body: A Confidence Guide for Women is an empowering short book about how women can build their body confidence and self-esteem, and grow to love their body exactly as it is.
40% of 9-10 year old girls have tried to lose weight, 78% of 17 year old girls are unhappy with their bodies, and 37% of the articles in teen magazines for girls are focused on their appearance. Maria Newfield, a woman who beat her own body image-related demons, publishes a book teaching radical self-acceptance to women everywhere.
* The average woman in Britain worries about the size and shape of her body EVERY 15 MINUTES and only 2% say that they are happy with their body;
* 80% of 10 year old children are afraid of being fat;
* Approximately 7 million girls and women in the US have an eating disorder;
* More than 50% of 10 year old girls wish they were thinner;
* 95% of all dieters will regain their lost weight within 1-5 years;
* 35% of "normal dieters" progress to pathological dieting. Of those, 25% will progress to partial or full syndrome eating disorder.
"As women, we are taught to hate our bodies. Then we diet and though we may initially lose weight, all the research shows that we gain the weight back. Dieting teaches us that our bodies are wrong, that we can't trust our own hunger signals, and that we must deny ourselves. This is not good for women's self-esteem, and it causes us to be preoccupied by hating ourselves. This has to stop!" - Maria Newfield
19 Steps to Loving Your Body: A Confidence Guide for Women describes, step by step, how to start loving our bodies, how to treat them well, and how to stop criticising ourselves, and others, for how we look.