Literature circles are student-centered book discussion groups in which each student has a role for which he or she is responsible. Literature circles accomodate a wide variety of reading levels and allow for differentiated instruction. In addition to promoting reading, writing and listening skills, literature circles encourage cooperation and courtesy, allow for individual assessment and motivate students to read!
In addition to retaining such popular role sheets as Character Sketcher, Scene Setter, Time Liner and Wordsmith, the following materials have been added to this revised edition:
- a description of various types of literature circles
- an explanation and role sheet for student-created discussion questions
- additional role sheets for informational text literature circles
- an updated list of books for text sets
- an updated list of resources
- end-of-book project suggestions
- a step-by-step description of Getting Started: First Time Literature Circles
Literature circles provide some of the most exciting environments for learning. Here is everything you need to help you instantly create such opportunities in your own classroom!