Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date.

For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now.

35 Miles from Shore: The Ditching and Rescue of ALM Flight 980

35 Miles from Shore: The Ditching and Rescue of ALM Flight 980

3.8 7
by Emilio Corsetti III

See All Formats & Editions

On May 2, 1970, a DC-9 jet with 57 passengers and a crew of six departed from New York’s JFK International Airport en route to the tropical island of St. Maarten, but four hours and 34 minutes later the flight ended in the shark-infested waters of the Caribbean. It was, and remains, the only open-water ditching of a commercial jet. The subsequent rescue of


On May 2, 1970, a DC-9 jet with 57 passengers and a crew of six departed from New York’s JFK International Airport en route to the tropical island of St. Maarten, but four hours and 34 minutes later the flight ended in the shark-infested waters of the Caribbean. It was, and remains, the only open-water ditching of a commercial jet. The subsequent rescue of survivors took nearly three hours and involved the coast guard, navy, and marines. This gripping account of that fateful day recounts what was happening inside the cabin, the cockpit, and the helicopters as the crews struggled against the weather and dwindling daylight to rescue the survivors, who had only their life vests and a lone escape chute to keep them afloat.

Editorial Reviews

From the Publisher

"This well-researched, fast-paced study vividly re-creates the chain of errors that resulted in the catastrophe, the harrowing rescue missions, and the mixed effects of the tragedy on the subsequent lives of the crew, survivors, and rescuers."  —Library Journal

"A wonderful book. It's like reading a fine novel except it's all true. For aviation people it is also a valuable safety lesson." —Bob Buck, author, North Star Over My Shoulder

"The most astounding nonfiction book I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Extremely detailed, well researched and action packed, this book is a don't put down book until it's finished, Wow!!"  —frontstreet reviews.com

"This gripping account of a tragedy, with heroes galore, is mesmerizing reading."  —newbookreviews.org

frontstreet reviews
The most astounding nonfiction book I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Extremely detailed, well researched, and action packed. . . . Wow!!
This gripping account of a tragedy, with heroes galore, is mesmerizing reading.
School Library Journal

Experienced pilot/writer Corsetti begins with two airline CEOs eager to capitalize on a burgeoning leisure travel market. A small Caribbean company, ALM, hoped to establish a route between St. Maarten and New York but, lacking long-distance planes, reached an agreement with Overseas National Airways (ONA) to provide the planes (DC-9s) and crews. Regular service, on a route acknowledged to be perilously close to the maximum range of the planes, commenced in January 1970 without the planned installation of auxiliary fuel tanks. On May 2, 1970, ALM 980 departed New York for St. Maarten with 57 passengers and a crew of six. Shrouded in rain squalls, the flight was diverted to San Juan, Puerto Rico, but an erroneous report of a break in the weather over St. Maarten caused the captain, his plane low on fuel, to make the tragic decision to return and land at St. Maarten. After three blown landing attempts, the plane had to ditch 35 miles from shore, and 23 of the passengers and crew perished. This well-researched, fast-paced study vividly re-creates the chain of errors that resulted in the catastrophe, the harrowing rescue missions, and the mixed effects of the tragedy on the subsequent lives of the crew, survivors, and rescuers. Recommended for all aeronautical collections and major libraries.
—John Carver Edwards Copyright 2007 Reed Business Information

Product Details

Odyssey Publishing
Publication date:
Sales rank:
Product dimensions:
6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.73(d)
Age Range:
15 Years

Read an Excerpt

35 Miles from Shore

The Ditching and Rescue of ALM Flight 980

By Emilio Corsetti III

Odyssey Publishing, LLC

Copyright © 2008 Emilio Corsetti III
All rights reserved.
ISBN: 978-0-9778971-8-6


Early on the morning of May 2, 1970, Overseas National Airways (ONA) mechanic George Chopay began his day with a walk-around inspection of aircraft N935F. The plane had just returned from an all-night flight from Las Vegas, landing at John F. Kennedy airport a little after 7:00 A.M. The DC-9 would have only a couple of hours on the ground before it was once again sent back out for a full day of flying, this time to the Caribbean and back.

It was a quiet morning as George made his way around the like-new jet. Saturday mornings were always a little slow. The normal cacophony of jet engines and spinning propellers was supplanted by the sound of seagulls searching for food along the shores of nearby Jamaica Bay. The ever-present seagulls were a constant reminder of just how close to water JFK actually lies.

After completing the walk-around inspection and clearing two minor maintenance items, George taxied the plane from the north passenger terminal to the international terminal located on the northwest side of the airport. He parked the plane on the ramp. Passengers would later board using stairs that extended out and down from just under the main cabin door.

Before exiting the cockpit, George called for fuel and requested that the aircraft be topped off. He would later note that the digital fuel totalizer indicated just under 29,000 pounds after the fueling, which was almost 500 pounds more than the stated maximum fuel capacity of the DC-9, the difference attributed to fuel density.

Sometime between 10:10 A.M. and 10:20 A.M. the three flight crewmembers arrived at the aircraft. The flight crew consisted of Captain Balsey DeWitt, First Officer Harry Evans, and Navigator Hugh Hart. George handed the captain the fuel slip and told him about the two write-ups that had been cleared earlier. George knew Captain DeWitt well. Thirty-seven-year-old Balsey DeWitt was a check airman and flight instructor for ONA. George glanced at the other two crewmembers and wondered which one of them was getting a line check. He guessed the first officer by the way he was standing with his hands stuffed in his pockets and his eyes fixed on the pavement. George was glad he wasn't in the first officer's shoes. Balsey had a reputation for being a tough examiner.

With the handover completed, Balsey and Hugh climbed the stairs to the cabin while Harry Evans began an exterior preflight. If Harry had appeared uneasy to George, there was good reason. Harry hadn't flown much in the past three months. And while he wasn't getting a line check this day, he was making his first international flight. It also didn't help that he was flying with a check airman. Regardless of the circumstances, flying with a flight examiner is always stressful.

Inside the aircraft, Balsey and Hugh found the two flight stewards and one stewardess busy with their own preflight checks. There was a brief exchange but no formal briefing. Balsey had flown with purser Wilfred Spencer and stewardess Margareth Abraham before and had confidence in their abilities. Had he not recognized them, he might have spent a little more time with them. As it was, they were already running a little behind schedule. Departure was less than forty-five minutes away.

Balsey took his seat on the left side of the cockpit and started to run through his preflight checks. Pilots use cockpit flows that allow them to perform the necessary checks without reference to a checklist. The flow on the DC-9 starts with the overhead panel, from there down to the glare shield, the center instrument panel, and finally to the center pedestal, where the dials for the communication and navigation radios are located. Balsey and Harry would later go through the checklist item by item to make sure that nothing was missed.

One of the last things Balsey did before the passengers boarded was test the PA system. PA announcements from the cockpit are made through a phone like handset located aft of the center pedestal. Testing the PA was not a checklist item. It was something Balsey did by habit. He picked up the handset and talked into it. He turned around and asked if anyone in back had heard the test. Hugh Hart, who was standing in the forward galley, indicated that all he heard was static and noise. Balsey spoke once more into the handset, and once again Hugh told him it was garbled.

Balsey pulled out the minimum equipment list (MEL) and looked to see if the PA was a mandatory item. The MEL is a list of aircraft components that can be inoperative as long as the inoperative component is repaired within a designated time period. Balsey found that the PA system was listed in the MEL, which meant it didn't have to be working. That was all he needed to know. Had there been more time, he would have written the PA up in the logbook and had George Chopay attempt to fix the problem. George was still inside the international terminal. He normally stayed with the aircraft until it departed the ramp, just in case he was needed. Balsey either didn't know that George was inside or deemed the problem too insignificant to delay the flight. There wasn't that much to talk about flying over the Atlantic anyway. He decided that the problem could be resolved when the plane returned later that evening.

The reason why the cockpit PA system was not a required item was because there were alternative means of communicating with the passengers. The PA system from the back was working normally. Balsey had heard one of the flight attendants checking the cabin PA earlier. There was also a backup procedure for communicating with the flight attendants using bells for in-flight alerts. One bell meant that the flight attendant was to pick up the interphone; two bells meant that the flight attendant should come to the cockpit; three bells signaled an emergency.

Inside the terminal, the passengers lined up by the door as they prepared to board ALM Flight 980 to St. Maarten. There was a normal mix of passengers. The only anomaly was the twenty-six adult women, which was slightly more than typical for this time period. Most were from the New York area, but there were a few from the Caribbean and elsewhere. One passenger, fifty-six-year-old Jeannie Larmony, who was currently living in New York but was originally from St. Maarten, struck up a conversation with another passenger as she stood in line. The passenger was Walter Hodge. Walter was a bus driver for the New York City transit system and a former resident of the Dutch side of St. Maarten. He was headed home for a long awaited visit. The two compared notes on the island as the boarding proceeded.

Balsey, who could see the boarding process from his seat in the cockpit, made a cursory inspection of the passengers as they made their way to the plane. He spotted two little girls traveling with their parents. He guessed the girls were about four or five.

Balsey enjoyed having children on board. He would always assume that it was their first time on an airplane and would make an extra effort to give them a smooth ride. He especially liked it when the kids would come up to the cockpit for a visit. They would usually stand just outside the cockpit door, wide-eyed and mouths agape. Balsey would invite them in for a closer look. Once they realized that Balsey wasn't going to bite their heads off, they would start firing off the questions. What's that switch for? How fast does this thing go? How do you make the plane go up in the air? Balsey would patiently answer each question regardless of how late he might be running. If the first officer wasn't in the cockpit, he'd pick them up and plop them down in the copilot's seat. He would tell them that if they studied hard and listened to their parents, they could be airline pilots too. That always brought smiles to their faces.

This day, however, there would be no visits to the cockpit. The three flight attendants were doing all they could to keep the flight on schedule. The two little girls and their parents moved quickly past the partially opened cockpit door.

Even with the flight attendants trying to hurry things along, a few passengers hesitated as they approached the stairs leading up to the main cabin door. The plane, not much bigger than a school bus, looked too small for such a long flight. And the markings on the plane said Overseas National. Most were expecting to see a KLM aircraft, the Royal Dutch Airline, the airline from which they had purchased their tickets. They didn't know that the flight they were about to take was the result of an agreement between two airlines, neither of which was KLM. Most would not discover this fact until months later. "Welcome aboard," came the greeting from purser Wilfred Spencer. One by one they climbed the stairs and took their seats.

A few minutes before the flight was scheduled to depart, a final passenger strode briskly across the ramp and up the stairs. He took the first seat he came to as he entered the cabin. The passenger was Emerson Ussery, a general contractor and developer of commercial and residential properties in the Caribbean. He had flown to New York three days earlier from San Juan to meet with a group of investors involved in the construction of a resort on Antigua. He was originally scheduled to return to St. Croix on a Pan Am flight. Earlier in the day, however, Emerson had received a call from one of the investors asking him if he would instead fly to St. Maarten to close a deal on some property for a future hotel and casino. When Emerson arrived at the airport, he was told that he could exchange his Pan Am ticket at the KLM ticket counter. But when Emerson tried to exchange the ticket, the KLM ticket agent refused to accept it. An argument ensued. The argument continued as the boarding began. Emerson was determined to get on the flight; he threw his Pan Am ticket on the counter and proceeded to board the aircraft over the objections of the KLM ticket agent.*

The KLM ticket agent immediately called her supervisor. A few minutes later, the supervisor boarded the plane along with a uniformed security officer. Emerson pleaded his case with the supervisor, who finally agreed to accept the Pan Am ticket after talking over the situation with stewardess Margareth Abraham, who happened to be in the forward galley at the time.

Emerson's insistence on getting on the flight had a lot to do with the phone call he had received earlier that morning. Prior to arriving at the airport, he had stopped to pick up two cashier's checks that were to be used for closing the property deal in St. Maarten. In addition to two $150,000 cashier's checks, Emerson also received $350,000 in cash. The deal he was being asked to close was to be an "under the table" deal, one intended to usurp taxes and other restrictions. The money was in a briefcase that he quietly stuffed under his seat.

With everyone boarded and accounted for, the stairs were raised and the cabin door was closed. If there were any concerns about the flight, chances are they had more to do with the possibility of being hijacked than of being involved in an aircraft ditching. In 1970, a hijacking took place somewhere in the world on average of once every eight days. The day before, a British West Indies Airways Boeing 727 had been hijacked on a flight from Kingston, Jamaica to Grand Cayman Island. The plane was diverted to Havana, Cuba, where the two hijackers were taken into custody.

At 11:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ALM 980 taxied from the international ramp. It was a perfect spring day with partly cloudy skies, a light southeast wind, and a temperature of 64 degrees. Purser Wilfred Spencer gave the first passenger briefing from the front of the plane while reading from a briefing card. Stewardess Margareth Abraham stood in the aisle near the front, and steward Tobias Cordeiro was positioned toward the rear of the plane. Wilfred began with a welcome aboard announcement that included information about the estimated flight time and the planned cruising altitude. He then gave the standard emergency briefing covering the seatbelts and emergency exits. This was done in both English and Dutch. He also instructed the passengers to review the emergency briefing cards in the seat pockets in front of them. There was no demonstration of the oxygen masks or the life vests, despite the fact that the flight would be flown over water almost from the moment of liftoff until touchdown. It was common practice at that time to wait until after takeoff to brief the passengers on those items so as not to delay the departure. Not that it mattered; the majority of the passengers paid little attention to what was being said or demonstrated.

Traffic was light at JFK as ALM 980 taxied to runway 13R. The flight was cleared for takeoff at 11:14 A.M. Both the captain and the first officer noted that the fuel totalizer indicated 28,450 pounds of fuel as the power was brought up for takeoff. It was a number that both would later be asked to recall.

Shortly after takeoff, Wilfred gave the oxygen mask and life vest briefing. Once again he read from a briefing card while Margareth and Tobias demonstrated the procedures. There was no mention of life rafts.


Climbing out from JFK, ALM 980 banked to the right and took up a southerly course. The plane was over water and would remain so for the duration of the flight, except for a minute or two when it would pass over Bermuda. Passengers on the right side of the aircraft could still see the coast and the hundreds of small boats that dotted the waters close to shore. Those on the left side of the aircraft might have caught a glimpse of a large tanker or a lone sailboat in search of less-crowded seas. From this altitude the water looked peaceful, almost inviting.

As ALM 980 thundered into an azure sky, the president and CEO of Overseas National Airways, thirty-eight-year-old Steedman Hinckley, was at a family gathering in Virginia. It was a much needed break for Steedman. He had been working non-stop for months and had been looking forward to getting away from New York for a few days. He spent the afternoon relaxing with his family and enjoying the warm spring weather while his parents doted on his one-and-a-half-year-old daughter Annalisa. It would turn out to be a short reprieve. Before the day was through, Steedman would be consumed with concerns over the fate of the passengers and crew aboard ALM 980, the future of his airline, and the role a business decision he had made weeks earlier might have played in the tragedy that was to take place that afternoon.

In aviation circles, Steedman Hinckley was considered to be something of a phenom, an airline whiz-kid who was just thirty-three when he started ONA, or more accurately, resurrected it, like a phoenix rising from the ashes. Steedman was an innovator along the lines of Herb Kelleher of Southwest Airlines and Richard Branson of Virgin Atlantic Airways. And while he wasn't as flamboyant as those two better known airline CEOs, he shared their sense of adventure and ability to see opportunities long before the competition.

Steedman's interest in aviation can be traced back to his father, who had served in the Army Air Corps and later as a colonel in the Air Force. His father was also a successful stockbroker who had done well enough in that pursuit that he was able to purchase a single engine Cessna. The small plane was housed in a hangar built right on the family farm. Steedman learned to fly in his dad's plane.

At fourteen, Steedman attended the renowned Phillips Exeter Academy, a private New England boarding school. Steedman flourished in the college like atmosphere at Exeter. He busied himself with his class work and played intramural sports during his free time. If there was one drawback at Exeter, it was the fact that there were no female students, which may have been the reason his parents had sent him there in the first place. Absent the normal distractions facing most teenagers, Steedman excelled academically. By the time he moved on to Princeton, he was light-years ahead of his classmates.

The normal course for someone with Steedman's background would have been to go directly into the corporate world, where promotions and pay increases would have come quickly and easily. Steedman, however, had fallen in love with flying. He flew every chance he got, usually during the holidays or during his summer breaks from Exeter and Princeton. When he graduated from Princeton in 1953 with a degree in English, Steedman put his corporate prospects on hold and enlisted in the Air Force. He had hoped to contribute to the Korean War effort, but the war ended before he completed his flight training. Instead of flying fighter jets over North Korea as he had hoped, he was put to work flying long supply flights between military bases in the U.S. and abroad. He saw most of the U.S. and much of Europe from the cockpit of a DC-6.


Excerpted from 35 Miles from Shore by Emilio Corsetti III. Copyright © 2008 Emilio Corsetti III. Excerpted by permission of Odyssey Publishing, LLC.
All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.

Meet the Author

Emilio Corsetti III is a professional pilot and author whose work has appeared in publications such as the Chicago Tribune, Multimedia Producer, and Professional Pilot magazine. He lives in Lake St. Louis, Missouri.

Customer Reviews

Average Review:

Post to your social network


Most Helpful Customer Reviews

See all customer reviews

35 Miles from Shore: The Ditching and Rescue of ALM Flight 980 3.9 out of 5 based on 0 ratings. 7 reviews.
KatZombie More than 1 year ago
Ok ok, fear of flying girl reads a book about an airplane crash. Smart move. I don’t even remember when or where I brought this book, but when I was looking for my next book to read I decided to start at the top, alphabetically, of my TBR and this is where I ended up. 35 Miles from Shore is, naturally, heavy on aviation industry speak, and contains a lot of information on the plane, the airline and the bodies responsible for regulating the industry. However, this is to be completely expected, and is not overly dry in facts and figures and airplane-yabber. The telling of the events leading up to the crash, the rescue and the aftermath are riveting reading, with a particular focus on the airline staff and certain key passengers. The subsequent investigation, conclusions and recommendations also make for interesting, if slightly disturbing reading. 35 Miles from Shore is well written and engaging, with the history of the airlines involved and other examples of air-disasters that have occurred before and since the ditching of flight ALM 980. Don’t read this before you fly (especially if you are going to be flying over open water!), but if you have an interest in survival, disasters or flying, there’s something in 35 Miles from Shore for you.
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
Don't get me wrong the book is good, but some of the details are totally necessary. I found myself skipping ahead to get to the point already.
MO_girl_at_heart More than 1 year ago
This book was well researched with interviews from some of the participants. It was filled with information and was a good read also. The author wrote an engaging story. Enjoy
MdExTx More than 1 year ago
Interesting account of an aviation disaster that I didn't hear about at the time (it happened days before 4 students were shot by the National Guard at Kent State University in Ohio on May 4, 1970). The author, who is a pilot himself, gives the reader the history of the airline and many of the people involved such as the pilot, some of the passengers and other crew members. He follows the progression of the flight, the ditching and the rescue efforts of the Coast Guard and the Navy. I am a fan of stories about air disasters (faithful viewer of Smithsonion Channel's Air Disasters television program) and this one was quite well written. The author's examination of the ditching points out things the airline could have done to have prevented it, and also shows us deficiencies in the investigation of the accident (the maintenance records of the airplane were not requested for sometime afterwards). I recommend this book to others who enjoy stories about air disasters and ocean rescues.
Anonymous More than 1 year ago
JPRIZZO More than 1 year ago
This is the best account of an air carrier accident. The author did not leave any stone unturned. When you are finished with this book, all your questions will have been answered. A must read for anyone involved in safety and/or human factors.
Guest More than 1 year ago
Fast moving, narrative of the only open-water ditching of a commercial jet¿ Reviewed by Debra Gaynor for ReviewYourBook.com 5/08 The fifty-seven passengers and six crewmembers of ALM Flight 980 departed JFK International Airport for St. Marten, never expecting to be fighting for their lives a few hours later. The pilot could not warn the passengers of problems, because the PA system did not work. The plane was not properly fitting with the extra fuel tank that had been recommended. The weather prevented a timely landing at their destination. These events and others contributed to the loss of twenty-three souls. When the plane ran out of fuel, the pilots had no choice but to ditch the plan in open-waters. The injured passengers watched their plane sink in the shark-infested waters. The courageous passengers assisted each other until help arrived. The Coast Guard, Navy, and Marines worked together to save forty people. 35 Miles From Shore is the retelling of the events that led up to the ditching of ALM Flight 980, Mary 2, 1970. Emillio Corsetti II has thoroughly researched the ill-fated flight. Too often, the retelling of such events sounds dry and lacks that certain something that makes the characters real. The narrative moves along quickly, taking the reader through the events before takeoff through the rescue. Corsetti did not stop there he discussed the horrendous medical care offered to the survivors, the investigation, and the lawsuits that ensued. There is a Crew and Passenger list along with a seating diagram at the beginning of the book. 35 Miles From Shore is technical enough for those with flight knowledge and written simple enough for all readers. .