Writer’s block: every author knows the feeling. When inspiration dries up, even the simplest of ideas feels distant, and coming up with anything new seems downright impossible, sometimes your brain just needs a little kick to get going again. That’s where 500 Writing Prompts comes in.
This expansive list of topics will get your writing juices flowing in a thought-provoking, entertaining, and fun way. When your brain is caught in a jam, these prompts will allow you to finally pick up that pen and write—the first step to overcoming writer’s block and finding success!
Some prompts included:
- Write a story from the perspective of a hamster trying to figure out the world beyond his cage.
- Modernize a popular fairy tale.
- Which animal would you say is your “spirit animal”? Why?
- Write a short story about a time-traveling person who makes a tiny change in their childhood that completely changed their present.
- What book best defines your personal struggles? Explain the parallels.
- What major childhood event do you think strengthened your character most? Why?
- After you meet a goal you have set for yourself, what do you do next?
- If you hear your smoke alarm going off and you see smoke and you only have time to grab one thing, what do you grab? Why?
- Do you think learning can be a hobby? Why or why not?
- Tutorials are popular on YouTube. What is something you could do a tutorial video for? What would you call the video and what makes you an expert?
- How might you consider people watching a hobby? How do you think people watching can benefit you?
- Write a script for a commercial selling shampoo that erases the last 12 hours of your memory.
- Describe what it was like learning how to ride a bike.
- Write a story about a comedic magician who discovers real magic.
- What would you do with a drone?
*Book includes one to two prompts per page.