Look ahead. Prepare. Be ready to handle the complex issues relating to troubled commercial real estate loans before they arise.
See a video of Joshua Stein discussing this publication
A GUIDE TO TROUBLED COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE LOANS FOR LENDERS AND BORROWERS provides a roadmap to the complex process of dealing with commercial real estate loans facing distress or default. Written by Joshua Stein, one of the foremost practitioners of commercial mortgage law in the country, it is full of expert strategy, practical tips, and warnings for lenders, borrowers, and their counsel. Use this guide to look ahead and prepare for events and issues relating to troubled loans before it is too late.
• the perils of email
• what questions to ask
• due diligence, from the lender's and the borrowers points of view
• lender's first dozen steps to "prepare for battle"
• lender liability
• preworkout and standstill agreements
• negotiating brief extensions
• common workout structures
• concessions to lender: deal terms
• concessions to lender: security package
• structuring today's workout with an eye on tomorrow's distress
• resolving the loan (ending the borrower-lender relationship)
• lender rights and remedies
• transfer of loan
• Basic Borrower/Lender Start-Up Checklist
• More Questions Lender's Counsel Might Ask
• Sample Pre-Workout Letter Agreement, with author's comments and optional provisions
This eBook features links to Lexis Advance for further legal research options.