Want it by Thursday, October 18?
Order by 12:00 PM Eastern and choose Expedited Shipping at checkout.
Same Day shipping in Manhattan. See Details
"Architecture is an all-embracing adventure without end," declares Dan Cruickshank in the introduction to A History of Architecture in 100 Buildings.
Cruickshank's selection represents key moments in architectural history and it is truly global in scope. It includes many of the world's best-known structures, and many less obvious ones, the unsung heroes of this great and fascinating story. Having visited most of the featured buildings himself, his book is both authoritative and intimate.
From the evocative remains of ancient civilizations to towering New York skyscrapers, Cruickshank's A History of Architecture in 100 Buildings is organized in seven themes. Examples are:
- Pioneers Pantheon (Rome), National Library (Paris), Flatiron Building (New York), Norkomfin Housing (Moscow), Casa Malaparte (Capri)
- Buildings of Vision
Sculpture, Gate of Lions (Greece), Krak des Chevaliers (Syria), Maori Meeting House (New Zealand), Assembly Buildings (Bangladesh), Moscow Metro (Russia)
- Follies Bishop's Castle (Colorado), Falling Water (Pennsylvania), Sagrada Familia (Barcelona)
- Ancient, Lost and Disappearing Worlds Uruk (Iraq), Mud City of Chan Chan (Peru), Mesa Verde (Colorado), R.F. Scott's Hut (Antarctica), Oratory of Gallerus (Ireland)
- Scale: Where Size Matters Burj Khalif (Dubai), Crystal Island Complex (Moscow), Towers Of San Gimignano (Italy), Pyramid of the Sun and Ciudadela (Teotihuacan, Mexico), Ulm Minster (Germany)
- Rhetoric and Meaning Ise Inner Shrine (Japan), Christ in the Attic (Amsterdam), Taj Mahal (India), Crystal Island Complex (Russia), The Palace of Ctesiphon (Iraq)
- Survivals and Revivals Slave Cabins (New Orleans), Catherine Palace (Russia),
Carcassonne (France) Watson's Hotel (Mumbai), Eastern State Penitentiary (Philadelphia).
Architects, historians, travelers and inquisitive readers will enjoy this beautiful, sumptuously illustrated book.
|Publisher:||Firefly Books, Limited|
|Product dimensions:||7.50(w) x 9.80(h) x 1.70(d)|
About the Author
Dan Cruickshank is a well known BBC television presenter and author. He is a leading expert on architecture and historic buildings, and a frequent contributor to The Architects' Journal and The Architectural Review. His previous books include the bestselling Around the World in 80 Treasures.