Accretion Power in Astrophysics available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Cambridge University Press
This newly expanded and thoroughly updated third edition examines accretion as a source of energy in both binary star systems containing compact objects, and in active galactic nuclei. Assuming a basic knowledge of physics, the authors describe the physical processes at work in accretion discs and other accretion flows. New material includes a detailed treatment of disc instabilities, irradiated discs, disc warping, and general accretion flows. The treatment is suitable for advanced undergraduates, graduate students and researchers.
Table of Contents
1. Accretion as a source of energy;
2. Gas dynamics;
3. Plasma concepts;
4. Accretion in binary systems;
5. Accretion discs;
6. Accretion on to a compact object;
7. Active galactic nuclei;
8. Accretion discs in active galactic nuclei;
9. Accretion power in active galactic nuclei;
10. Thick discs;
11. Accretion flows.