Adjunct Faculty in Community Colleges: An Academic Administrator's Guide to Recruiting, Supporting, and Retaining Great Teachers / Edition 1 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
Ensure that you hire and supervise the best adjunct faculty. Using the models in this resource, you’ll be equipped to provide your adjunct faculty with support and pedagogical assistance. Highlights include the important connection between teaching quality and effective hiring, orientation, acculturation, and professional development practices for adjunct faculty.
About the Author
Dr. Wallin is an honors graduate of Brigham Young University. She earned her master’s degree in English education at Eastern Illinois University and her Ed.D. in curriculum and instruction from Illinois State University.
Table of ContentsAbout the Authors.
Part I. Understanding Part-Time Faculty.
1. Valuing and Motivating Part-Time Faculty (Desna L. Wallin).
2. Part-Time Community College faculty and Their Full-Time Counterparts (Duane Akroyd and Amy L. Caison).
3. Adjunct Faculty as Valued members of the Academy (Eduardo J. marti).
4. Enculturation and Development of Part-Time Faculty (Kristel D. Phillips and Dale F. Campbell).
Part II. Recruiting and Retaining Part-Time Faculty.
5. One faculty: Hiring Practices and Orientation (Joseph L. Gadberry and Helen Burnstad).
6. The Challenge and Effective Use of Part-Time faculty (Alice W. Villadsen and Thomas I. Anderson).
7. Retention of Part-Time Faculty (Helen Burnstad and Joseph L. Gadberry).
8. A Strategic Model for Integrating Prepared Adjunct Faculty Into the College Culture (Richard E. Lyons).
Part III. Supporting Part-Time Faculty Through Technology.
9. Supporting and Sustaining Adjunct Faculty With 4faculty.org (Kristina Kauffman).
10. Supporting Adjunct Faculty as if the College’s Life Depended on it (Deborah Stewart and Rebecca Werner).
11. The Rio Salado College System’s Approach to Strategic Success With Adjunct Faculty (Hazel M. Davis, Laura Helminski, and Vernon C. Smith).
12. A Case Study of the Online Adjunct Training Environment at Sante Fe Community College (Richard L. Wagoner).
13. Impications and Recommendations for Recruiting, Supporting, and Retaining Adjunct Faculty (Desna L. Wallin).