Adopting in America is two books in one. Written by a leading adoption attorney, it provides all the information that prospective adoptive parents need to succeed in their quest to adopt quickly, safely, ethically and economically.
The first half of the book is a detailed and insightful review of independent, agency and intercountry adoption, including how to work with adoption exchanges in the adoption of waiting children. For those seeking to adopt a newborn, unique strategies are offered regarding how successfully network to be selected by a birth mother, as used by one of the nation's leading adoption attorneys. There is also detailed guidance on selecting the right agency or attorney, including dozens of recommended questions to ask to test their knowledge and ability.
The second half of the book is a state-by-state review of each state's unique adoption laws (when can the birth mother sign her consent, how long does she have to change her mind, what are the birth father's rights, is it permitted to assist with pregnancy-related expenses, is a pre-placement home study required in an independent adoption, can non-residents adopt, and more). The website of each state's adoption office and adoption registry is provided, as well as biographies of each member of the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys within each state. Appendices provide key information about adoption organizations and resources. Fully indexed.
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.89(d)|
About the Author
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
- Are You Ready to Adopt?
- The Fifteen—Yes Fifteen!—Types of Adoption
- Independent Adoption
- Selecting the Right Attorney
- Agency Adoption & Adoption Exchanges
- Selecting the Right Agency
- Intercountry Adoption
- Strategies to Find a Baby to Adopt
- The Power of Three
- Red Flags to a Risky Adoption
- Working with the Doctor and Hospital
- Legal Issues Step-by-Step.
- Finalizing the Adoption and Post-Birth Issues
- Surrogacy & Assisted Reproductive Technology
- State-by-State Legal Review
- National and Regional Adoption Exchanges
- Helpful Organizations and Websites
- Sample Photo Resume Letter
- Sample “Traditional” Networking Cover Letter
- Sample “Personal” Networking Cover Letter