Advanced Reading Power / Edition 1 available in Paperback
Advanced Reading Power, by Beatrice S. Mikulecky and Linda Jeffries, is a student-centered reading skills textbook based on a cognitive skills approach. Its four key sections, designed to be used concurrently, help advanced students master reading skills needed for academic success:
- Extensive Reading helps students to build reading fluency, increase comprehension, and broaden vocabulary.
- Vocabulary Building includes numerous strategies for learning vocabulary, including using context clues, analyzing word parts, and noticing collocations.
- Comprehension Skills teaches reading skills, such as making inferences, recognizing patterns of organization, and reading critically.
- Reading Faster features high-interest, nonfiction selections that help students improve their reading rate and flexibility.
- A variety of authentic reading selections, including excerpts from college textbooks, promotes purposeful reading.
- Focus on Vocabulary sections provide practice with academic vocabulary from the unit.
- Comprehension exercises encourage students to interact with the text and develop an awareness of their own reading and thinking processes.
The Reading Power series also includes:
- Basic Reading Power 1 (Third Edition): Beginning
- Reading Power 2 (4th Edition): Intermediate
- More Reading Power 3: High-Intermediate
Table of Contents
Part 1: Extensive Reading
Unit 1: Choosing a Book for Extensive Reading
Unit 2: Reading and Discussing Nonfiction
Unit 3: Reading an Discussing Fiction
Unit 4: Responding to and Reporting on Your Extensive Reading Books
Part 2: Vocabulary Building
Unit 1: Strategies for Building a Powerful Vocabulary
Unit 2: Learning New Words from Your Reading
Unit 3: Inferring Meaning from Context
Unit 4: Word Parts
Unit 5: Collocations
Part 3: Comprehension Skills
Unit 1: Previewing
Unit 2: Making Inferences
Unit 3: Understanding Paragraphs
Unit 4: Patterns of Organization
Unit 5: Reading Longer Passages Effectively
Unit 6: Skimming
Unit 7: Study Reading
Unit 8: Summarizing
Unit 9: Critical Reading
Part 4: Reading Faster
Unit 1: Learning to Read Faster
Unit 2: New Technology and Its Impact Around the World
Unit 3: People Who Have Made a Difference
Unit 4: Inventions That Are Changing Our Lives
Appendix 1: List of 2,000 Most Frequent Words
Appendix 2: Academic Word List
Appendix 3: Record of Books Read