- Want it by Wednesday, September 26? Order by 12:00 PM Eastern and choose Expedited Shipping at checkout.
"Adventures in Human Being, with its deft mix of the clinical and the lyrical, is a triumph of the eloquent brain and the compassionate heart."
Wall Street Journal
We assume we know our bodies intimately, but for many of us they remain uncharted territory, an enigma of bone and muscle, neurons and synapses. How many of us understand the way seizures affect the brain, how the heart is connected to well-being, or the why the foot holds the key to our humanity? In Adventures in Human Being, award-winning author Gavin Francis leads readers on a journey into the human body, offering a guide to its inner workings and a celebration of its marvels. Drawing on his experiences as a surgeon, ER specialist, and family physician, Francis blends stories from the clinic with episodes from medical history, philosophy, and literature to describe the body in sickness and in health, in living and in dying. At its heart, Adventures in Human Being is a meditation on what it means to be human. Poetic, eloquent, and profoundly perceptive, this book will transform the way you view your body.
|Edition description:||First Edition, First Trade Paper Edition|
|Product dimensions:||5.50(w) x 8.20(h) x 0.80(d)|
About the Author
Gavin Francis is a physician and the author of True North: Travels in Arctic Europe and Empire Antarctica: Ice, Silence and Emperor Penguins, which won the Scottish Book of the Year Award, was shortlisted for the Ondaatje Prize and the Costa Prize, and was named a best book of the year by The Economist and the Financial Times. A regular contributor to the London Review of Books, the Guardian, and the New York Review of Books, Francis lives in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Table of Contents
A note on confidentiality
1. Neurosurgery of the Soul
2. Seizures, Sanctity & Psychiatry
3. Eye: A Renaissance of Vision
4. Face: Beautiful Palsy
5. Inner Ear: Voodoo & Vertigo
6. Lung: Breath of Life
7. Heart: On Seagull Murmurs, Ebb & Flow
8. Breast: Two Views on Healing
9. Shoulder: Arms & Armour
10. Wrist & Hand: Punched, Cut & Crucified
11. Kidney: The Ultimate Gift
12. Liver: A Fairy-Tale Ending
13. Large Bowel & Rectum: A Magnificent Work of Art
14. Genitalia: Of Making Babies
15. Womb: Thresholds of Life & Death
16. Afterbirth: Eat It, Burn It, Bury It Under a Tree
17. Hip: Jacob & the Angel
18. Feet & Toes: Footsteps in the Basement
Notes on Sources
List of Images