Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date.
For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now.
- Get it by Tuesday, January 23 , Order now and choose Expedited Delivery during checkout.
This volume explores the range of interactions between the historical sources and archaeology that are available on the African continent. Written by a range of experts on different aspects of African archaeology, this book represents the first consideration of historical archaeology over the African continent as a whole. This seminal volume also explores Africa's place in global systems of thought and economic development and is of interest to historical archaeologists and historians.
|Series:||Contributions To Global Historical Archaeology Series|
|Product dimensions:||6.10(w) x 9.25(h) x 0.04(d)|
Table of Contents1. African Historical Archaeologies: an introductory consideration of scope and potential; A. Reid, P. Lane.
2. History, Archaeology and Nubian Identities in the Middle Nile; D. Edwards.
3. Re-evaluating Traditional Histories on the Coast of Kenya: an archaeological perspective; R. Helm.
4. Behind the Sultan of Kilwa's 'Rebellious Conduct': local perspectives on an international East African town; J. Fleisher.
5. Swahili Archaeology and History of Pemba, Tanzania: a critique and case study of the use of written and oral sources in archaeology; A. LaViolette.
6. A True Picture? Colonial and other Historical Archaeologies; T. Insoll.
7. Boka Botuom and the Decorated Stones of the Cross River Region, Eastern Nigeria; K. Ray.
8. The African Diaspora Starts Here: historical archaeology of Coastal West Africa; K.G. Kelly.
9. Less Implicit Historical Archaeologies: oral traditions and later Karanga settlements in south-central Zimbabwe; I. Pikirayi.
10. Re-constructing Tswana Townscapes: toward a critical historical archaeology; P. Lane.
11. Access to Cattle Resources in a Tswana Capital; A. Reid.
12. Insiders and Outsiders: sources for reinterpreting a historical event; J.A. van Schalkwyk, B.W. Smith.
13. Navigating the Liminal: an archaeological perspective on South African industrialisation; J. Behrens.
14. African Historical Archaeology(ies): past, present and a possible future; P. Robertshaw.