American Constitutional Law: Introductory Essays and Selected Cases / Edition 14 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Prentice Hall
This classic collection of carefully selected and edited Supreme Court case excerpts and comprehensive background essays explores constitutional law and the role of the Supreme Court in its development and interpretation. Well-grounded in both theory and politics, it endeavors to heighten students' understanding of and interest in these critical areas of our governmental system.
New to the 17th Edition
- 9 new cases (including 2 cases from the 2015-2016 term decided by 8 justices) and discussion of 30 additional new cases.
- New case highlights include Sebelius on Obamacare, Obergefell on same sex marriage, and 2 new cases on government surveillance.
- Covers the death of Justice Antonin Scalia and ensuing controversies.
- Updates every chapter-opening essay and end-of-chapter Selected Readings.
- Provides an author-written online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank, historical Supreme Court documents, noteworthy decisions and dissents, and cases from previous editions.
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.29(w) x 9.53(h) x 1.73(d)|
About the Author
Alpheus Thomas Mason (late) was McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence Emeritus at Princeton University.
Donald Grier Stephenson, Jr. is Charles A. Dana Professor of Government at Franklin & Marshall College.
Table of Contents
Introduction: A Political Supreme Court
1. Jurisdiction and Organization of the Federal Courts
2. The Constitution, the Supreme Court, and Judicial Review
3. Congress and the President
5. The Electoral Process
6. The Commerce Clause
7. National Taxing and Spending Power
8. Property Rights and the Development of Due Process
9. The Bill of Rights
10. Criminal Justice
11. Freedom of Expression
12. Religious Liberty
14. Equal Protection of the Laws
15. Security and Freedom in Wartime
Appendix A: The Constitution of the United States Of America
Appendix B: Justices of the Supreme Court
Appendix C: Presidents and Justices
Appendix D: American Constitutional Development as Reflected in a Chronology of Cases Reprinted in This Book
Index of Cases
Index of Subjects and Names