For more than 150 years, the AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION has been the leading group of medical experts in the United States and one of the most respected health-related organizations in the world. Its publications include the prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) as well as popular patient guidebooks such as the American Medical Association Complete Guide to Men's Health, American Medical Association Guide to Home Caregiving, and American Medical Association Guide to Talking to Your Doctor, all from Wiley.
American Medical Association Family Medical Guideby American Medical Association
"This completely updated fourth edition of our bestselling health reference is comprehensive, easy to understand, and even more user-friendly than the previous editions. We're excited to provide our patients with an invaluable resource to help them become more involved in their own health care. We
The Long-Awaited Revision of the Bestselling Family Health Guide
"This completely updated fourth edition of our bestselling health reference is comprehensive, easy to understand, and even more user-friendly than the previous editions. We're excited to provide our patients with an invaluable resource to help them become more involved in their own health care. We think this is a book that belongs on the bookshelf in every home."
-AMA President John C. Nelson, MD, MPH
The American Medical Association is the nation's premier health authority-an organization that both patients and doctors look to for state-of-the-art medical information and guidance. Now, for the first time in 10 years, the AMA has updated its landmark medical reference-a book that belongs in every home.
This new edition of the American Medical Association Family Medical Guide has been thoroughly revised to bring it up to date and make it more accessible than ever before. Opening with a brand-new full-color section that walks you through key health issues, it follows with several new and expanded sections on everything from staying healthy and providing first aid and home care to diagnosing symptoms and treating hundreds of different diseases and disorders. This classic guide is the definitive home health reference for the twenty-first century-an indispensable book to keep you and your loved ones healthy.
* Authoritative guidance on hundreds of diseases and the latest tests, treatments, procedures, and drugs
* New or greatly expanded coverage of genetic testing, sexuality, learning disabilities, preventive health, infertility, pregnancy and childbirth, substance abuse, home caregiving, and first aid
* A host of new and updated features-including full-color spreads on important health topics, Q&A sections, first-person case histories, and newly designed symptoms flowcharts
* New chapters on diet and health, exercise and fitness, maintaining a healthy weight, reducing stress, genetics, complementary and alternative medicine, staying safe and preventing violence, cosmetic surgery, and preventive health care
* A new section on health issues at various life stages
* 64 pages in full color and almost 1,000 illustrations and photographs
- Turner Publishing Company
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 44 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
Meet the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews
This book is a great addition to your library and excellent to use in cross checking internet sources or doctor's advice. It is presented very clearly but often jumps to a serious condition a little too quickly so can be alarmist if the user is not careful. I recommend the AMA Guide to your Child's Symptoms by Donald Schiff MD primary contributor as a more useful book - the latter is wonderful and I buy it for all new parents I know but it is an older version and can only find it used now - that other Guide is also much smaller but still the best one I've ever seen.
My mother in law gifted me the third edition of this book when my son was born. She was a nurse. I have used the charts and visual diagnostic pages every year since. It is the best reference book I own to determine if symptoms are serious enough to warrant a Doctors visit or trip to the ER. Every family should have a copy.