This user-friendly book is a key resource for teachers and administrators to ensure their school’s success in implementing and maintaining a dual language program. Authors Gayle Westerberg and Leslie Davison share their own experiences leading a dual language school, the obstacles they overcame, and the best practices they learned along the way. The book is filled with step-by-step instructions and strategies you can try immediately, as well as inspirational stories from educators in urban and rural dual language programs across the country. Topics include:
- Choosing a model for your dual language program and involving all stakeholders in the transition process;
- Marketing your program effectively to recruit students and staff, including international teachers;
- Implementing a standards-based instructional framework focused on direct vocabulary instruction, extensive reading, and using language in context;
- Setting proficiency targets and using internal and external assessments to track students’ progress;
- Incorporating technology for a more interactive and engaging language-learning experience.
You’ll also learn how to effectively transition your program through different grade levels and build a collaborative school culture for a strong, long-lasting K–12 dual language program. Additional resources are available on the authors’ website, www.duallanguageinstruction.com.
|Publisher:||Taylor & Francis|
|Product dimensions:||6.80(w) x 9.60(h) x 0.50(d)|
|Age Range:||8 - 12 Years|
About the Author
Gayle Westerberg is the former principal of a dual language school and currently works as a consultant and coach on principal leadership and transdisciplinary learning.
Leslie Davison is a world language specialist, a teacher, and a consultant on best practices for language acquisition, technology, and dual language teaching strategies.
Table of Contents
Meet the Authors
1 Challenging the Status Quo and Doing the Right Work
2 The Dynamics of Change
3 Recruiting Families and Teachers
4 Choosing an Instructional Model
5 Language Acquisition 101 and the Power of Comprehensible Input
6 Reaching Proficiency Targets
7 Leveraging Technology Integration for Dual Language Programs
8 Transitions in Dual Language Education K-12
9 Creating a Culture that Fosters Global Competence
10 Upshots - Sharing Results
11 Professional Learning Through Coaching, Connecting and Collaboration
12 Moonshot...when you know better you are obligated to do better