In this classic beginner's guide to English literature, Mario Klarer offers a concise and accessible discussion of central issues in the study of literary texts, looking at:
- definitions of key terms such as literature and text
- the genres of fiction, poetry, drama, and film
- periods and classifications of literature
- theoretical approaches to texts
- the use of secondary resources
- guidelines for writing research essays
The new and expanded edition is fully updated to include:
- a wider range of textual examples from world literature
- additional references to contemporary cinema, a section on comparative literature
- an extended survey of literary periods and genres
- recent changes in MLA guidelines
- information on state-of-the-art citation management software
- the use and abuse of online resources.
The book also features suggestions for further reading as well as an extensive glossary of key terms.
|Publisher:||Taylor & Francis|
|Product dimensions:||5.25(w) x 7.75(h) x 0.70(d)|
About the Author
Mario Klarer is Professor of English at the University of Innsbruck, Austria. He is Vice president of the Austrian Association for American Studies.