Animal Law / Edition 1 available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
- Wolters Kluwer Law & Business
This innovative book explores the emerging area of animal rights law. Animal Law: Welfare, Interest, and Rights asks the question, “What are the arguments for animal rights as a matter of philosophy and at law?” David Favre, a well-known figure in the area of animal rights, discusses how the legal system today deals with animal-human relationships as well as how it may do so in the future.
David Favre, who has extensive experience teaching and speaking around the world on animal issues, has crafted an exceptional text. Among its many attributes:
- The author covers over 100 years of legal history regarding animal rights, beginning in 1867 with the adoption of the New York Anti-Cruelty Law.
- Materials are presented to highlight the animal issues that people most commonly face, including ownership, sales, divorce, recovery for damages for harm to animals, and providing for animals in wills.
- Criminal liability under state anti-cruelty laws is considered in detail, including topical issues such dog fighting and the hoarding of animals.
- Veterinary malpractice and the state’s ability to control animals such as dangerous dogs and pet snakes are explored.
- The status of commercial agricultural animals is presented in detail – including factual information and policy concepts – in order to consider what future law might be appropriate.
- The text offers engaging, student-friendly problems and case studies on many of the main topic areas in animal rights.
- Additional chapters, available on the Web as PDF files, include coverage of private regulation of ownership by landlords and condo associations, control of wildlife by the state, and animals in science
Animal Law: Welfare, Interest, and Rights is certain to become the preeminent teaching tool in the area of animal rights. If you are teaching a course in animal rights law – or contemplating teaching one – be sure to examine this perceptive, comprehensive text.
An author website to support classroom instruction using this title is available at http://www.aspenlawschool.com/favre.
David Favre was recently interviewed on the ABC News regarding an Animal Rights case. View the video on ABC News now.
|Publisher:||Wolters Kluwer Law & Business|
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||6.90(w) x 9.80(h) x 1.10(d)|
Table of Contents
- Animal Ownership
- Veterinarian Malpractice
- Damages for Harm to Pets
- State Regulation of Ownership
- Anti-Cruelty Laws, History & Intentional Acts
- Anti-Cruelty Laws -- Duty to Provide Care
- Agricultural Animals
- Access to the Courts -- Standing and Legal Injury
- The Animal Welfare Act
- Animal Rights -- The Jurisprudence
- Animal Rights -- The Social Movement
Chapters available on the web as .pdf files:
Chapter 1. Private Regulation of Ownership - Landlords and Condos
Chapter 2. State Control of Wildlife Web
Chapter 3. Animals in Science