Common Core Top Pick for Reading Literature and Informational Text
- Key Ideas and Details
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- Range of Reading and level of Text Complexity
View all Common Core Top Picks forReading Literature and Informational Text
Develop geography literacy while learning about the unique characteristics of Antarctica!
The 7 Continents: Antarctica helps students learn about Antarctica through engaging reading and writing activities.
Five geography units cover the following standards-based topics:
Section 1: Antarctica in the World
Introduces students to the location of Antarctica in the world.
- Antarctica's Relative Location
- Antarctica's Hemispheres
- Antarctica's Absolute Location
- Using a Projection Map
Section 2: Physical Features of Antarctica
Introduces students to the highest, driest, coldest, and iciest continent on the planet.
- Formation of Antarctica
- Antarctica's Harsh Landscape
- East Antarctica
- West Antarctica
- Antarctic Mountains
- Antarctic Ice
- Antarctica's Climate
- Climate Changes in Antarctica
- Antarctica's Bodies of Water
Section 3: History of Exploration
Students learn about the diverse history of Antarctica's discovery and exploration.
- Unknown Southern Land
- Early Exploration
- Bellingshausen and Weddell
- Ross and Wilkes
- Belgica Stranded
- Heroic Age
- Race to the South Pole
- Mawson and Shackleton
- Exploration by Air
- Admiral Byrd
Section 4: People of Antarctica Today
Students learn about the people who research, visit, and live in Antarctica.
- Antarctica Treaty
- Antarctica's Scientific Research
- Female Scientists
- Communication in Antarctica
- Tourism in Antarctica
Section 5: Natural Resources and Wildlife
Introduces students to the natural resources and wildlife of Antarctica.
- Resources of Antarctica
- Lichens, Fungi, Moss, and Algae
- Land Invertebrates
- Animals in the Ocean
- Animals: Visitors on Land
- Antarctica's Web of Life