Anthropology / Edition 32 available in Paperback
This compilation of public press sources examines anthropological perspectives; culture and communication; organization of society and culture; families; gender and status; religion and ritual; and sociocultural change.
Including selections from Colin Turnbull,Laura Bohannan,Napoleon Chagnon,Richard Borshay Lee,Deborah Tannen and Douglas Raybeck,this reader includes both classic and contemporary anthropological studies.
Table of ContentsUNIT 1. Anthropological Perspectives
1. Doing Fieldwork Among the Yanomamo, Napoleon A. Chagnon, from Yanomamo: The Fierce People, Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, 1992.
2. Napoleon Chagnon's War of Discovery, Michael D'Antonio, Los Angeles Times Magazine, January 30, 2000.
3. Doctor, Lawyer, Indian Chief, Richard Kurin, Natural History, November 1980.
4. Eating Christmas in the Kalahari, Richard Borshay Lee, Natural History, December 1969.
5. Cannibals of the Canyon, Douglas Preston, The New Yorker, November 30, 1998.
6. Battle of the Bones, Robson Bonnichsen and Alan L. Schneider, The Sciences, July/August 2000.
UNIT 2. Culture and Communication
7. Language Training of Apes, E. S. Savage-Rumbaugh, from The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Human Evolution, Cambridge University Press, 1992.
8. Language, Appearance, and Reality: Doublespeak in 1984, William D. Lutz, Et Cetera, Winter 1987.
9. Why Don't You Say What You Mean?, Deborah Tannen, New York Times Magazine, August 28, 1994.