This book brings research alive for educators by introducing readers to people who actually "do" research. Designed for courses focused solely on applying, rather than conducting research, Applying Educational Research includes 12 actual research articles, reprinted in their entirety. The primary author of each article then offers original commentary on his/her piece.
Table of Contents
I. THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH.
1. Using Research to Improve Educational Practice.
II. THE RESEARCH LITERATURE ON EDUCATION.
2. Conducting a Review of the Research Literature.
3. Using Primary Sources to Search the Literature.
4. Reading Secondary Sources.
III. QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH IN EDUCATION.
5. Reading Reports of Quantitative Research Studies.
6. Statistical Analysis of Research Data.
7. Descriptive and Causal-Comparative Research.
8. Correlational Research.
9. Experimental Research.
IV. QUALITATIVE RESEARCH IN EDUCATION.
10. Case Studies in Qualitative Research.
11. Ethnographic Research.
12. Critical Theory-Based Research.
13. Historical Research.
V. APPLICATIONS OF RESEARCH METHODOLOGY.
14. Evaluation Research.
15. Action Research.
Self-Check Test Answers.
Appendix 1: Preliminary Sources that Index the Education Literature.
Appendix 2: Clearinghouses and Support Components.
Appendix 3: Publications Containing Secondary Source Reviews of the Education Literature.
Appendix 4: Questions for Evaluating Quantitative Research.
Appendix 5: Questions for Evaluating Qualitative Research.