19.79 In Stock
Chadds Ford grew along an important early thoroughfare where it crossed the Brandywine Creek. Travelers along this east–west highway between Philadelphia and Baltimore were obliged to ford the creek at property owned by businessman John Chads. At first, farms, mills, and homesteads composed the architectural landscape. As the town grew, so did businesses, such as the Gallagher General Store and the Chadds Ford Hotel. By the end of the nineteenth century, wealthy Philadelphians, attracted by Chadds Ford’s pastoral setting, began to build stately summer homes. Around Chadds Ford features photographs from 1870 to 1950, when the town enjoyed the sophistication of these newcomers but still retained its rural flavor.
About the Author
Karen Smith Furst sorted through the Chadds Ford Historical Society’s collection of over one thousand unpublished photographs to choose the outstanding images presented here. Combined with lively and informative captions, these photographs open a window into life in Chadds Ford.