- Suite for solo cello No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007
- Suite for solo cello No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1008
- Suite for solo cello No. 6 in D major, BWV 1012
- Suite for solo cello No. 3 in C major, BWV 1009
- Suite for solo cello No. 4 in E flat major, BWV 1010
- Suite for solo cello No. 5 in C minor, BWV 1011
- Untitled CD-ROM Track
- Want it by Thursday, September 27? Order by 12:00 PM Eastern and choose Expedited Shipping at checkout.
Mischa Maisky returns to these cornerstones of the cello repertoire, commemorating the 250th anniversary of Bach's death with his second recording of the Six Cello Suites. Of course, Maisky has been playing these works frequently in the 15 years since he first recorded them, and it shows in the spontaneity and freedom of these new interpretations. The cellist has even prepared a new edition of the scores, which can be accessed on a CD-ROM included in this set. As with Deutsche Grammophon's other "CD-pluscore" releases, the computer-savvy listener can follow along with Maisky's performance, play along, and make alterations to Maisky's edition. Maisky's Bach is romantic, forceful, rich of tone, and very personal; this maverick cellist is not constrained by the niceties of period performance practice. If his rhythm is sometimes so free that he seems to lose touch with the music's origin in dance forms, the concluding Gigue of each suite brings us back to earth with a vigorous spin around the baroque ballroom.