- Suite for solo cello No. 1 in G major, BWV 1007
- Suite for solo cello No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1008
- Suite for solo cello No. 3 in C major, BWV 1009
- Suite for solo cello No. 4 in E flat major, BWV 1010
- Suite for solo cello No. 5 in C minor, BWV 1011
- Suite for solo cello No. 6 in D major, BWV 1012
Wolfgang Boettcher's performances of Bach's six cello suites have everything one could want in terms of technique and interpretation. Boettcher can handle the long legato phrases, the lithe sixteenth-note lines, and the double- and triple-stopped sonorities with apparent ease. He takes on anything from the open-hearted happiness of the "G major Suite" to the dark night of the soul despair of the "C minor Suite" to the supreme joy of the "D major Suite," and wrings wholly persuasive performances out of them. As fine as Boettcher's suites are separately, they are even better as a cycle, with the juxtaposition of the separate works and the progression of their effects producing a deeper and even more meaningful musical experience. Recorded in astoundingly vivid digital sound in October 2000 and March 2001, Boettcher's performances, while they may not be a first choice for listeners new to Bach's cello suites, should be heard by anyone who enjoys this music.