Techniques and Recipes for Living A Simpler, More Sustainable Life.
There's something to be said for simpler times, when our way of life was wholesome and healthy. There were less pesticides and growth hormones in our food. We were self-reliant and self-sustaining. It's easy to see why, with food costs on the rise, many people are returning to their roots-and root cellars-and finding solace in simple living. With Back to Basics: Traditional Wisdom, now anyone can:
- Save excess fresh vegetables and fruits while maintaining texture and nutrition by preserving produce in the freezer
- Learn different canning methods for easy cooking and cupboard storage
- Grow fruits and vegetables in a space as small as a windowsill
- Turn fresh fruit into jams and jellies
- Utilize space by drying foods and creating cooking ingredients
- Make chutneys and relishes that will be a hit at every occasion
- Discover an economical way to preserve foods by creating a cold storage unit
- Quench thirst with homemade beverages
- Bring homemade wine, beer, and naturally flavored vodka to the next family gathering
- Also learn to raise chickens and honeybees, make your own cheese, and more.
|Product dimensions:||7.70(w) x 9.80(h) x 1.00(d)|
|Age Range:||17 Years|
About the Author
Andrea Chesman is a graduate of Cornell University and the author of several books, including Yankee Magazine's Church & Potluck Dinners Cookbook, Simply Healthful Skillet Suppers, and Simply Healthful Past Salads.