Basic Spanish / Edition 7 available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
- Cengage Learning
THE BASIC SPANISH SERIES, 2E offers a flexible, concise introduction to Spanish grammar and communication with state-of-the-art online learning tools to better address the needs of today's students and professionals who need a working knowledge of Spanish. For the second edition, we maintain the strengths of the program while making it more accessible to all students of Spanish. We are proud to offer an extensive technology program with this edition, thereby improving students' access to required materials and giving instructors the freedom to design their courses in the way that best meets their students' needs.
About the Author
Ana C. Jarvis, a native of Paraguay, was born in Asuncion and attended school in Buenos Aires, Argentina. She received her Ph.D. in Spanish from the University of California, Riverside, in 1973. Presently an instructor of Spanish at Chandler-Gilbert Community College in Chandler, Arizona, Dr. Jarvis previously taught at Mesa Community College, the University of California, Riverside, San Bernardino Valley College, Brigham Young University, and Riverside City College. In addition to authoring numerous Spanish textbooks, she has published several short stories in Spanish. In 1988, she was chosen "Faculty Member of the Year" at Chandler-Gilbert Community College.
Table of Contents
Preface. Lección preliminar I. Communication: You will learn to greet people and exchange some polite questions and answers, exchange phone numbers, talk about days and dates, and describe colors. Structures:1. Greetings and farewells.
2. Cardinal numbers 0-39.
3. The alphabet
4. Days of the week.
5. Months of the year.
6. Colors. Lección preliminar II. Communication: You will learn about cognates and some simple vocabulary related to the classroom. Structures:
1. Gender and number.
2. The definite and indefinite articles
3. Subject pronouns.
4. The present indicative of ser.
5. Uses of hay.
6. Cardinal numbers 40-299. Lección
1. Communication: you will learn vocabulary related to restaurants and cafeterias. Country highlighted: España. Structures:1. The present indicative of regular -ar verbs
2. Interrogative and negative sentences.
3. Forms and position of adjectives
4. Telling time.
5. Cardinal numbers 300-1,000. Lección
2. Communication: You will learn additional vocabulary relate to restaurants. Country highlighted: México. Structures:
1. Agreement of adjectives, nouns, and adjectives.
2. The present indicative of regular -er and -ir verbs.
3. Possession with de
4. Possessive adjectives.
5. The personal a. Lección
3. Communication: you will learn vocabulary related to the family. Country highlighted: Guatemala. Structures:
1. The irregular verbs ir, dar, and estar.
2. Ir a+ infinitive
3. Uses of the verbs ser and estar.
4. Contractions. Lección
4.Communication: You will learn vocabulary pertaining to hotels. Countries highlighted: Honduras and El Salvador. Structures:
1. The irregular verbs tener and venir.
2. Expressions with tener.
3. Comparative forms.
4. Irregular comparative forms. Lección
5. Communication: You will learn vocabulary about typical activities related to traveling in a foreign country. Country highlighted: Nicaragua. Structures:
1. Stem-changing verbs (e:ie).
2. Some uses of the definite article.
3. The present progressive.
4. Ordinal numbers: Cuanto sabe usted ahora? Lecciones 1-5. Lección
6. Communication: You will learn more vocabulary related to situations encountered while traveling. Countries highlighted: Costa Rica and Panama. Structures:
1. Stem-changing verbs (o:ue).
2. Affirmative and negative expressions.
3. Pronouns as object of a preposition.
4. Direct object pronouns. Lección
7. Communication: You will learn vocabulary related to travel arrangements. Countries highlighted: Puerto Rico. Structures:
1. Stem-changing verbs (e:i).
2. Irregular first-person forms.
3. Saber contrasted with conocer.
4. Indirect object pronouns. Lección
8. Communication: You will learn vocabulary to sports and other outdoor activities. Countries highlighted: Cuba and Republica Dominicana. Structures:
1. Pedir contrasted with preguntar.
2. Special construction with gustar, doler, and hacer falta.
3. Demonstrative adjectives and pronouns.
4. Direct and indirect object pronouns used together. Lección
9. Communication: You will learn vocabulary related to daily routine and personal grooming. Country highlighted: Venezuela. Structures:
1. Possessive pronouns.
2. Reflexive constructions.
3. Command forms: Ud. and Uds.
4. Uses of object pronouns with command forms. Lección
10. Communication: you will learn vocabulary related to housework, shopping and weather. Country highlighted: Colombia. Structures:
1. The preterit of regular verbs.
2. The preterit of ser, ir and dar.
3. Uses of por and para.
4. Seasons of the year and weather expressions ¿Cuánto sabe usted ahora? Lecciones 6-10. Lección
11. Communication: You will learn vocabulary related to everyday life. Country highlighted: Ecuador. Structures:
1. Time expressions with hacer.
2. Irregular preterits.
3. The preterit of stem-changing verbs (e:i and o:u).
4. Command forms: tú. Lección
12. Un matrimonio peruano va de compras. Structures:
1. En and a as equivalents of at
2. The imperfect tense.
3. The past progressive.
4. The preterit contrasted with the imperfect. Communication: Shopping for clothes. Culture: Perú. Different ways of shopping in the Hispanic world. Lección
13. En una tienda por departamentos en La Paz. Structures:
1. Changes in meaning with the imperfect and preterit of conocer, saber, and querer.
2. Hace meaning ago.
3. Uses of se
4. ¿Qué? and ¿Cuál? used with ser. Lección
14. Communication: You will learn vocabulary related to automóviles. Country highlighted: Paraguay. Structures:
1. The past participle.
2. The present perfect tense.
3. The past perfect (pluperfect) tense. Lección
15. Communication: You will learn vocabulary related to transportation. Country highlighted: Chile. Structures:
1. The future tense.
2. The conditional tense.
3. Some uses of the prepositions a, de, and en. ¿Cuánto sabe usted ahora? Lecciones 11-15. Lección
16. Communicaton: You will learn vocabulary related to traveling by train. Country highlighted: Argentina. Structures:
1. The present subjunctive.
2. The subjunctive with verbs of volition.
3. The absolute superlative. Lección
17. Communication: You will learn vocabulary related to hospital care in emergencias. Country highlighted: Uruguay. Structures:1. The subjunctive to express emotion.
2. The subjunctive with some impersonal expressions.
3. Formation of adverbs. Lección
18. Communication: You will learn vocabulary related to collage life. Nationality highlighted: Los puertorriqueños. Structures:
1. The subjunctive to express doubt, disbelief, and denial.
2. The subjunctive to express indefiniteness and nonexistence.
3. Diminutive suffixes. Lección
19. Communication: You will learn vocabulary related to health problems and visits to the doctor's office. Nationality highlighted: Los mexicanoamericanos. Structures:
1. The subjunctive after certain conjunctions.
2. The present perfect subjunctive.
3. Uses of the present perfect subjunctive. Lección
20. Communication: You will learn vocabulary to running errands. Nationality highlighted: Los cubanoamericanos. Structures:
1. The imperfect subjunctive.
2. Uses of the imperfect subjunctive.
3. If clauses. ¿Cuánto sabe usted ahora? Lecciones 16-20.
Appendix A: Introduction to Spanish Sounds and the Alphabet.
Appendix B: Verbs.
Appendix C: Useful Classroom Expressions.
Appendix D: Weights and Measures. Spanish-English Vocabulary. English-Spanish Vocabulary.