2008 AJN Book of the Year Winner!
Like its popular predecessor, the new edition of Bathing Without a Battle presents an individualized, problem-solving approach to bathing and personal care of individuals with dementia. On the basis of extensive original research and clinical experience, the editors have developed strategies and techniques that work in both institution and home settings. Their approach is also appropriate for caregiving activities other than bathing, such as morning and evening care, and for frail elders not suffering from dementia.
- For this second edition, the authors have included historical material on bathing and substantially updated the section on special concerns, including:
- Skin care
- Determining the appropriate level of assistance
- The environment
An enhanced final section addresses ways to support caregivers by increasing their understanding of the care recipient's needs and their knowledge of interventions to improve care and comfort. It also emphasizes self-care and system-level changes to promote person-directed care. Several chapters include specific insights and wisdom from direct caregivers.
About the Author
Read an Excerpt
Table of Contents"
- Understanding the Battle, Beverly Hoeffer, Joanne Rader, Ann Louise Barrick
- Temperatures of the Times: Fluctuations in Bathing Through the Ages, Mary Lavelle
- General Guidelines for Bathing Persons With Dementia, Ann Louise Barrick, Joanne Rader
- Assessing Behaviors, Ann Louise Barrick, Joanne Rader, Madeline Mitchell
- Selecting Person-Directed Solutions That Work, Ann Louise Barrick, Joanne Rader, Madeline Mitchell
- Person-Directed Care: Sustaining Interactions Through Offering the Needed Level of Assistance, Carla Gene Rapp
- Managing Pain, Karen Amann Talerico, Lois L. Miller
- Care of the Skin, Johannah Uriri Glover, Kimberly Horton Hoffman, LouAnn Rondorf-Klym
- Transfer Techniques, Adele Mattinat Spegman, Theresa H. Raudsepp, Jennifer R. Wood
- The Physical Environment of the Bathing Room, Margaret P. Calkins
- Equipment and Supplies, Stacey Biddle, Phil Sloane
- Bathing as a Vehicle for Change, Joanne Rader, Ann Louise Barrick, Darlene McKenzie, Beverly Hoeffer
- Interactive Approaches to Teach Person-Directed Bathing, Joyce H. Rasin, Joanne Rader, Ann Louise Barrick
- Taking Care of Yourself: Strategies for Caregivers, Joyce H. Rasin
Part I: The Basics
Part II: Special Concerns
Part III: Supporting Caregiving Activities
Appendix A: Measuring Success: A Quality Improvement Program for Person-Directed Bathing
Appendix B: Behavior Rating Checklist
Appendix C: Caregiver Behavior Checklist