Learn to build amazing robotic projects using the powerful BeagleBone Black.About This Book
- Push your creativity to the limit through complex, diverse, and fascinating projects
- Develop applications with the BeagleBone Black and open source Linux software
- Sharpen your expertise in making sophisticated electronic devices
This Learning Path is aimed at hobbyists who want to do creative projects that make their life easier and also push the boundaries of what can be done with the BeagleBone Black. This Learning Path's projects are for the aspiring maker, casual programmer, and budding engineer or tinkerer. You'll need some programming knowledge, and experience of working with mechanical systems to get the complete experience from this Learning Path.What You Will Learn
- Set up and run the BeagleBone Black for the first time
- Get to know the basics of microcomputing and Linux using the command line and easy kernel mods
- Develop a simple web interface with a LAMP platform
- Find out how to use a GPS to determine where your sailboat is, and then get the bearing and distance to a new waypoint
- Use a wind sensor to sail your boat effectively both with and against the wind
- Build an underwater ROV to explore the underwater world
- See how to build an autonomous Quadcopter
BeagleBone is a microboard PC that runs Linux. It can connect to the Internet and run OSes such as Android and Ubuntu. You can transform this tiny device into a brain for an embedded application or an endless variety of electronic inventions and prototypes.
This Learning Path starts off by teaching you how to program the BeagleBone. You will create introductory projects to get yourselves acquainted with all the nitty gritty. Then we'll focus on a series of projects that are aimed at hobbyists like you and encompass the areas of home automation and robotics. With each project, we'll teach you how to connect several sensors and an actuator to the BeagleBone Black. We'll also create robots for land, sea, and water. Yes, really!
The books used in this Learning Path are:
- BeagleBone Black Cookbook
- BeagleBone Home Automation Blueprints
- Mastering BeagleBone Robotics
This practical guide transforms complex and confusing pieces of technology to become accessible with easy- to-succeed instructions. Through clear, concise examples, you will quickly get to grips with the core concepts needed to develop home automation applications with the BeagleBone Black.
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||56 MB|
|Note:||This product may take a few minutes to download.|
About the Author
Rodolfo Giometti is an engineer, IT specialist, and GNU/Linux expert. He has over 15 years of experience working with platforms based on x86 (PC), ARM, MIPS, and PowerPC. He is the first author and a maintainer of the LinuxPPS project (Linux's pulse per second subsystem.) He actively contributes to the Linux source code with several patches and new device drivers for several devices. His areas of core expertise are in writing device drivers for new peripherals, realizing special Linux ports for several custom embedded boards, and developing control automation and remote monitoring systems. He is the cofounder of the Cosino Project, where he develops software for industry control automation systems. He is also the co-CEO at HCE Engineering S.r.l., a leading industrial embedded systems-based company.
Richard Grimmett has more fun that should be allowed working on robotics projects while teaching Computer Science and Electrical Engineering at Brigham Young University Idaho. He has a Bachelors and Masters degree in Electrical Engineering and a PhD in Leadership Studies. He also has 26 years of experience in the Radar and Telecommunications industries, and even has one of the original brick phones. He has written books on the basics of using the BeagleBone Black for robotics projects, and another for the Raspberry PI and yet another for the Arduino.