- Piano Sonata No. 28 in A major, Op. 101
- Piano Sonata No. 29 in B flat major ("Hammerklavier") Op. 106
- Piano Sonata No. 30 in E major, Op. 109
- Piano Sonata No. 31 in A flat major, Op. 110
- Piano Sonata No. 32 in C minor, Op. 111
- Want it by Thursday, October 18 Order now and choose Expedited Shipping during checkout.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Opp. 101, 106, 109-111 based on 0 ratings. 1 reviews.
When these performances first were released over 25 years ago, one reviewer said that ultimately any criticism of this set boiled down to the absence of wrong notes. While I hesitate to say of any musical performance that it is perfect, seldom has anyone come closer to perfection than Pollini here. Other performances are no doubt more immediately engaging - though Pollini's imperious opening of the Hammerklavier cannot be bettered for impact - and some may well have liberal doses of the rubato that many people regard as a sign of interpretation. But if you want to hear the unadorned brilliance of Beethoven with no distractions and with none of those fetching idiosyncrasies that make a performance instantly appealing but ultimately tediously mannered, you have to get this set. There is, ultimately, no choice in the matter.