Bend, astride the Deschutes River at the eastern foot of the Cascade Range, got its name from a place on the river that runs through it. Pioneer travelers called the place Farewell Bend because it was where they had their last view of the double bend in the river that afforded a good place to camp and to ford the waterway, otherwise flowing through deep canyons. When the U.S. Post Office Department approved a name for a post office established there in 1886, it settled on a shorter version-Bend-because there already was a Farewell Bend on the Snake River in eastern Oregon. Arrival of a railroad in 1911 connected Bend with a market for Central Oregon's vast timber resources. Large sawmills began operations in 1916 and Bend grew tenfold in 10 years. And it kept on growing into a favored place to live. By its centennial in 2005, some 75,000 people called Bend home.
About the Author
The Deschutes County Historical Society has selected over 200 images from its extensive photographic archives and called on its most knowledgeable members to narrate this visual visit to a one-time timber town that has proved a most desirable place to live and visit.
Table of Contents
1 A Place of Promise: Before 1905 9
2 Growth Begins: 1905-1910 21
3 A City Transformed: 1911-1918 37
4 An Era of Growth: 1919-1927 65
5 Surviving the Hard Times: 1928-1945 93
6 From the Mills to Recreation: 1946-Present 117
Most Helpful Customer Reviews