Discover the best and most unusual getaway ideas in and around Ohio!
Longtime TV travel reporter Neil Zurcher has driven more than a million miles in Ohio and nearby states to find great local travel destinations for his “One Tank Trips” reports. This book collects his all-time favorites, including . . .
- The world’s largest indoor train display.
- The certified best spot in the state for stargazing.
- Ohio’s top FREE attraction.
- A historic village where you can ride an authentic replica canal boat.
- Beautiful bridges, including the world’s longest covered bridge.
- Two haunted state reformatories.
- A ride-through wildlife park with 500 exotic animals from six continents.
- One of the last open-air drive-in restaurants, unchanged since the 1950s.
- A place where you can drag-race in your family carlegally!
- An Amish hardware store selling all non-electric tools, appliances, toys, and more.
- The only World War II submarine still in original condition.
- The Center of the Worldreally.
- And dozens of other special places
Neil Zurcher writes . . .
I skipped over the obvious big “super” attractions because you have probably already heard about them or have been there. What I try to do is direct you to lesser known, hidden away gems in the tourist world that might not attract lots of attention, but are still very worthwhile as a place to visit.
I've tried to mix in destinations that my viewers and readers have told me they also enjoyed. Whether it was a slice of real prize-winning home-made pie in a diner in Jefferson, Ohio or a chance to fly on a life-size replica of the first airplane sold by the Wright Brothers in Dayton. I show you where you can sail across tree-tops and crawl through rock caverns. There is even a park in northwest Ohio where you, and the kids, can dig for prehistoric life.
No matter what you like to do on a holiday or vacation, I think you will find something in this book to excite and entertain you.
|Publisher:||Gray & Company, Publishers|
|Product dimensions:||5.50(w) x 8.50(h) x 0.50(d)|
About the Author
Table of Contents
While We Fill the Tank
Be Sure to Check the Location
Using This Book
All Over Ohio
- Canals of Ohio
- Castles of Ohio
- Forts of Ohio
- The Lincoln Highway, an Ohio First
- Holiday Lights in Ohio
The Charm of Charm
- Bats in Ohio
- The Whistleblower of Columbus
- Politicians and Peanut Butter
- Hot Mustard and Wedding Gowns
- The Bicycles of New Bremen
- John Glenn’s Home Town
- Ohio’s Floating Island
- Fried Bologna and Sky High Pie
- First Woman to Fly
- Stan Hywet, the Gem of Akron
- Ohio Link to Where Christmas Was Born
- The Pie Queen of Northern Ohio
- Ashland, a Town of Nice People
- War Birds of Ashtabula County
- Covered Bridge Capital of Ohio
- Football and Other Canton Traditions
- Cars I Have Loved
- Some Cleveland Favorites
- White Turkey Drive-In
- Dover, a City of Do-It-Yourself Museums
- Ohio’s Darkest Spot
- Holiday Train Rides
- One of the Best Places in the World for Autumn Color
- A Hardware Store For the Ages
- Lighthouses of Lake Erie
- Shawshank Remembered and Other Ghosts
- Some Presidential Trivia
- A Hidden Treasure on the Lake Shore
- Soaring Over Geauga County
- Mohican Adventure
- Treetop Adventure
- The Little Park That Could
- Adventures on Portage Lakes
- Ohio’s Little Switzerland
- Cod in Cleveland
- Vermilion’s Best Kept Secret
- Zebras, Camels, and Other Exotic Friends
- Center of the World and Other Unusual Stops
- Rails of History
- Cars and Trucks Of The Past
- A Real Candyland
- The Mystery of the Blue Hole
- The First Presidential Library
- Ice Fishing on Lake Erie
- A Presidential Resort
- For a Rainy Day
- Live Your Racing Fantasy in the Family Car
- Bird-Watching on Lake Erie
- Parasailing Over Lake Erie
- Skimming Sandusky Bay
- Ohio’s Caviest Cave
- Underground Ohio
- Digging Ohio’s Prehistoric Past
- National Museum of the Great Lakes
- A Place to Join the Circus
- An Ohio Icon, Clifton Mill
- Ohio’s Best Free Attraction
- Shopping in the Jungle
- Fly With Bugs in Your Teeth
- The Coolest Toys on Earth
- Petting the Lake Erie Sea Monster
- Another Way to Enjoy the Water
- Really Big Electric Train Layout
- A Memorial to Ohio Giants
- Home on the Range, Ohio-Style
- Discover The Hocking Hills
- Adventures on a Riverboat
- A Park with a View
- Zanesville, a Monumental City
- Beef-on-Weck, Sponge Candy, and a Boat Ride Through a Cave
- My Most Exciting One Tank Trip
- Go To Hell
- Henry Ford’s Attic
- The Ultimate Driving Experience
- Indiana’s Giant Flea
- Where Ducks Walk on the Fish
- A Train Trip to Titusville
- Seven Miles of Beaches
- Some Holiday Traditions Just Across the State Line
- Waldameer Amusement Park
- West Virginia State Pen
On the Bookselling Trail