The Complete Hands-On Guide to Cooking a Great Thanksgiving Meal
Whether you're cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the first time or have hosted this celebration for years, here's all you need to know to make your holiday special. Thanksgiving can be the most challenging meal to prepare-even for the most experienced cooks. Betty Crocker comes to the rescue with this complete do-it-yourself guide to making Thanksgiving delicious. Here are the treasured recipes with all the trimmings that you grew up with, plus plenty of great new twists on the traditional.
* The most popular and time-tested recipes for the classics, from roast turkey with pan gravy and bread stuffing to pumpkin, apple and pecan pies and much more
* New and innovative ways with the bird include brining, grilling, smoking and even deep-frying, plus plenty of inventive ideas for turkey alternatives
* Easy how-to's for tricky techniques cover carving the turkey, making lump-free gravy and rolling out pie dough, plus how to safely take food on the road
* Menu ideas to suit everyone, whether vegetarian, diabetic, on a low-fat diet, or a first-time cook, plus easy ways to cook for a crowd of 20 or more
* Countdown menus to time every step, from starting some recipes days (or weeks) ahead, to setting the table, to making gravy so it's piping hot when dinner's served
* Mouthwatering color photos of your favorite Thanksgiving foods for ideas and inspiration
* 130 tested and trusted recipes in all, to make this year's Thanksgiving your most memorable-and delicious-feast ever!
|Publisher:||Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated|
|Product dimensions:||7.30(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.50(d)|
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
I have checked this book out of my public library year after year. Finally decided to purchase from B & N. Lots of good traditional recipes that I make year after year. Has everything from preparation before to what to do with leftovers. Has great recipes from appetizers to wonderful desserts. This is a good book whether it's your first time cooking a Thanksgiving meal or like me have done so for the last 20 years.
I've hosted Thanksgiving every year for the past 10, so I have my basic menu down to a science. Even so, when I saw this book on sale, I decided to get it. I'm so glad that I did! It contains 4 homemade gravy recipes, including one for milk gravy and one for no drippings gravy, which I think is a huge plus if you're worried about fat content. It also has a page devoted to showing you how to mix the gravy ingredients into the pan and what to do to fix certain gravy problems. Did I mention that my biggest challenge is making that homemade gravy? It also contains some great make ahead suggestions and many great simple variations for the traditional Thanksgiving meal. For first time cooks or for experienced ones, take a look at this book!