|Publisher:||State University of New York Press|
|Series:||SUNY series on Sport, Culture, and Social Relations Series|
|Product dimensions:||6.10(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.70(d)|
About the Author
C. Richard King is Assistant Professor of Anthropology at Drake University. He is the author of Colonial Discourses, Collective Memories, and the Exhibition of Native American Cultures and Histories in the Contemporary United States.
Charles Fruehling Springwood is Assistant Professor of Anthropology at Illinois Wesleyan University. He is the author of Cooperstown to Dyersville: A Geography of Baseball Nostalgia.
Table of Contents
1. Posting Up: Introductory Notes on Race, Sports, and Post-America
2. White Out: Erasures of Race in College Athletics
3 “Kill the Indians, Save the Chief”: Native American Mascots and Imperial Identities
4. Sammy Seminole, Jim Crow, and Osceola: Playing Indian and Racial Hierarchy at Florida State University
5. Body and Soul: Physicality, Disciplinarity, and the Overdetermination of Blackness
6. Of Rebels and Leprechauns: Longing, Passing, and the Stagings of Whiteness
7. Postcolonial Arenas: The Dis-Ease of Desire in America