"Our slogan from the very beginning was 'a computer on every desk and in every home.'"
"For me to become gun-shy might require surgery."
An icon more powerful than anything on a Windows screen, Bill Gates today stands atop his fabled Microsoft fortress staring down competitors' threats and injunctions from an annoyed U.S. Justice Department. The kind of success Gates has created rarely escapes criticism. And Bill is getting more than his share.
The story of how this Harvard dropout created the operating system that would become the worldwide standard for millions of computers is legendary. And equally legendary has been the take-no-prisoners tactics of his corporate colossus, Microsoft. We've witnessed Gates's transformation from a geeky wunderkind into a business titan.
Whether admired or detested, glorified or vilified, Gates is a household name and a worldwide curiosity. Bill Gates Speaks discloses what Bill Gates has to say on everything from financing a start-up to running a conglomerate, developing technology to raising a family, and growing his business to expanding his personal wealth. Drawing on quotes culled from speeches, articles, essays, newscasts, and interviews, this unique book weaves all of this information into a compelling and easy-to-read biography.
Here is just a sample of what you'll find inside:
* "My parents weren't all that excited about their son announcing he was dropping out of a fine university to start a business in something almost nobody had heard of called 'microcomputers.'"
* "I think business is very simple. Profit. Loss. Take the sales, subtract the costs, you get this big positive number. The math is quite straightforward."
* "I envy people who thrive on three or four hours of sleep a night. They have so much more time to work, learn, and play."
* "We never waste a lot of time talking about what we're doing well. It just isn't our culture. Every meeting is about 'Sure, we won in seven of the categories, but what about that eighth category?'"
* "The PC industry is the model industry in the entire economy. The rate of innovation, the openness-all of these things are just fantastic. And Microsoft's role in creating this has been absolutely fundamental."
The world listens when Bill gates speaks
"I'm not competent to judge his technical ability, but I regard his business savvy as extraordinary.
If Bill had started a hot dog stand, he would have become the hot dog king of the world." -Warren Buffett
"It is still possible to be a Vanderbilt, an Astor, a Rockefeller. You can still do that, you can be Bill Gates." -David Geffen
"Everybody is waiting for this guy to slip. He hasn't slipped, and there's very little chance that he will. Everything that he keeps his hands in will work, and he will win." -Alan Kerr, Ogilvy & Mather
"Love him or hate him, but you can't ignore him." -Fortune
|Product dimensions:||4.59(w) x 7.46(h) x 0.70(d)|
About the Author
Janet Lowe is the author of the bestselling Warren Buffett Speaks, Jack Welch Speaks, Benjamin Graham on Value Investing, Oprah Winfrey Speaks, and many others (all available from Wiley). Her articles have appeared in such publications as Newsweek, the Christian Science Monitor, the Los Angeles Times, and the San Francisco Chronicle. Ms. Lowe lives in Del Mar, California, with her husband, Austin Lynas.
Table of Contents
Preface. Growing Up Gates. Heading Off on the Conventional Road. Back on the High-Tech Highway. The Gatesian Management Style. The Microsoft Business Model. The Computer Wars. Microsoft Mistakes. Attack the Future. Others Say. Living at the Pinnacle. Little Time for Love. The New Computer Culture. Gates on Life. The Bottom Line. The Bill Gates Time Line. Endnotes.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
I thought this book was very informative and i enjoyed reading it. It follows Bill Gates's life in Seattle, as well as when he was a child. It describes what he had to go through, his college life, and his friendships with other people. I learned a lot about Microsoft and what it took for Bill Gates to become the richest man in the world. It inspired me to work hard and never give up. I recommend this book to other students my age because it is informative and can help you have an insight on what it takes to become successful.