This book presents the evidence base for the NICE guideline on the management of bipolar disorder in adults (including pregnant women and older adults), children and adolescents. It covers diagnosis and assessment in primary and secondary care, and pharmacological, psychological and psychosocial management. The guideline also contains a chapter on patient experience.
An essential resource for all professionals involved in the treatment and management of bipolar disorder, this book is a milestone in the development of truly independent and transparent clinical guidance and an essential tool in improving the quality of mental healthcare in the UK.
NICE Mental Health GuidelinesThese guidelines from the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) set out clear recommendations, based on the best available evidence, for health care professionals on how to work with and implement physical, psychological and service-level interventions for people with various mental health conditions.
The book containsthe full guidelines that cannot be obtained in print anywhere else. It brings together all of the evidence that led to the recommendations made, detailed explanations of the methodology behind their preparation, plus an overview of the condition covering detection, diagnosis and assessment, and the full range of treatment and care approaches.
The accompanying free CD-ROM contains all the data used as evidence, including:
- Included and excluded studies.
- Profile tables that summarise both the quality of the evidence and the results of the evidence synthesis.
- All meta-analytical data, presented as forest plots.
- Detailed information about how to use and interpret forest plots.
Table of Contents
Guideline Development Group members
1. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. METHODS USED TO DEVELOP THIS GUIDELINE
4. BIPOLAR DISORDER AND ITS DIAGNOSIS
5. SERVICE USER AND CARER EXPERIENCE OF BIPOLAR DISORDER
6. THE PROCESS OF CARE AND PROVISION OF SERVICES IN THE MANAGEMENT OF BIPOLAR DISORDER – GENERAL CARE
7. THE PROCESS OF CARE AND PROVISION OF SERVICES IN THE MANAGEMENT OF BIPOLAR DISORDER – SPECIALIST SERVICES
8. THE MEDICAL AND PHARMACOLOGICAL MANAGEMENT OF BIPOLAR DISORDER – PART I
9. THE MEDICAL AND PHARMACOLOGICAL MANAGEMENT OF BIPOLAR DISORDER – PART II
10. PSYCHOLOGICAL THERAPIES IN THE TREATMENT OF BIPOLAR DISORDER
11. LIVING WITH BIPOLAR DISORDER: INTERVENTIONS AND LIFESTYLE ADVICE